1931 833 Restoration

Tom M

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packin31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know it is a foreign color. I was looking for a deep rich color beside the normal Morons ... </div></div>

Are you inferring that people who normally drive a foreign car are Morons? With a capital M, no less??? shocked.gif

I was thinking some orange flames, air bags, fuzzy dice,skeleton shifter knob. wink.gifsmirk.gif

What color pin striping would go with this combo I have chosen?

Guest imported_Speedster

I'm guessing that is a color that really looks good out in the sun-light?

The green on my 645 is like that. It looks almost black when inside but really pops when outside.

Rick,

I just receive the gallon of paint today. I open it up and like you said looks dark inside but in the sun it is going to pop. cool.gif

Hopefully if things go alright I may spray the door edges and some of the smaller parts this weekend. smile.gif

Guest AntarcticDave

Tom,

I am having my 47 Caddy repainted, and sitting down with hundreds of pages of color chips and a set of 1947 Dupont chips, I ended up picking a foreign color as well, 1993 Infiniti Burgandy Cherry Metallic. It's also a VERY dark maroon fine metallic. On a cloudy day in shade it's almost black, but it really pops in the sun. I think you'll like your choice.

Dave

Dave, I sure hope so and thanks. Mine is none metallic so it won't have the glitter affect like the metallic paints have.

Have any pictures you like to share with us?

Guest AntarcticDave

No pictures yet, I'll post some when I get her back. I talked to the shop last week. They had finished the color sand & buff. They said they saw a metallic highlight in the roof that looked off, and a shadow in the passenger door and right rear fender, so they are re-painting those.

Dave

Was a beautiful day to do some color spraying. For a newbie I think they turned out pretty good. I found the parts that hang tend to get more orange peal then the pieces that lay flat. Will have to do some color sanding and buffing.

Had a little mishap on one of the hood side panels it slid down horse that I had it setting on and some garbage from the wall fell on it. Will have to wet sand and respray. Next time I will lay it flat to spray it.

Comments on how to spray better is welcomed. Enjoy

post-31137-143137993081_thumb.jpg

post-31137-143137993082_thumb.jpg

post-31137-143137993083_thumb.jpg

post-31137-143137993084_thumb.jpg

post-31137-143137993085_thumb.jpg

Steve,

Thanks. It be a great learning experience for me. I had my up and downs. Once I get the doors sprayed with color then it is onto the main body for it's TLC smile.gif

Bring your Model A on over. We will see what we can do for ya smile.gif

Packard32 Thanks.

I forgot about your request too. I guess I will need to put the wifes and our other cars on the drive then wink.gif

You can see the color sure looks different in the sun at different angels. In the garage it looks really dark.

Doors are painted but will need some cutting and buffing. As you can see the Orange Peal (I just can't get it figured out but I will some day crazy.gif) and some runs.

post-31137-143137993885_thumb.jpg

post-31137-143137993886_thumb.jpg

post-31137-143137993887_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_Speedster

Tom,

Do you have a Good water/oil Filer on your air-compressor's air-line? Never apply too much paint trying to fill in bad spots, it will only make the problem worse.

In pics it appears the doors are sitting vertical? There's less chance of Runs if the panels are laying horizontal instead of vertical, when possible.

Rick,

Yes I have Sharpe inline filter/oil separator and a filter at the inlet of the spray gun.

You are right I should have laid the doors flat like I did for some of the hood panels. The paint laid out much better that way. Hopefully I will be able to cut the peal out with some 1500 and 2000. If not I will respray them laying flat next time.

Tom, Tom, Tom (I'm not trying to be funny)

DO NOT start with 1500!!!

Start with 600 if the orange peel is significant. If you start with too fine of paper, you'll only follow the "divits" and end up with nice smooth orange peel. Cut the peeks down with 600, then move up to 1000, 1500, 2000.

Nice looking colors, by the way.

West,

Strange thing someone else was telling me the same thing just the other day when they saw my pictures. Will need to run out and get some 600 then. Don't worry about being funny about it because the more great advice I receive the better for me because I am still learning. smile.gif Thanks

Color is not the original but I like it.

Guest imported_Speedster

The depth of roughness (orange-peel or fish-eyes) determines which sanding grit should be used, but like West says, 600 is usually the best to start with.

Electric sanders work well on large flat areas but areas that are curved or rounded are best done by Hand, with sponges or pads.(personally I like sponges better, they have the correct amount of flex) (pads have a little too much flex)

Guest AntarcticDave

Tom - I haven't forgotten I owe you some pictures. The color looks great (lighter than mine). The shop painting my 47 Caddy told me they weren't satisfied with my roof, passenger door or passenger rear fender - so, they fired their painter, hired a new (but known to them) one, and are repainting those. I'm glad they are being picky, but hope I get to see the car before it hibernates again for the winter!

That is close to the color of my friends 1970 Dodge Challenger 340 6 PAC T/A. This one here is a little brighter.

It sure does stand out in the crowd. Even with the white white walls. I don't think if I ever seen white walls as bright as them there. Wonder what it would look like with black walls. laugh.gif

Roadsters look a lot better with black tires.

Back in 1932, or whatever year that car is, I don't think paint color pigments could get a color that vibrant. Some people paint their cars based on a color illustration they've seen in an ad or brochure, when in fact, the particular color was probably not even available, let alone, possible.

Guest bkazmer

From a pigment availability, it might well have been possible - remember that pigments that would not be used today, like cadmium and chrome +6 based yellows, were readily available. How well they weathered, well, that's another story.

The Golden Anniversary Packards with metal flake in clear base should have been expected to fail quickly as they did.

Perhaps a little shaver saw that green and grew up to work for Chrysler in the 70's and spec in Lime Light.

• 2 months later...
Guest imported_Speedster

Too bad that Piranha-fish can't be Trained to do some Blocking. laugh.gif

But I guess his main job is 'Guard-fish', correct? laugh.gif

post-33516-143138013166_thumb.jpg

Ken,

Why you ask do I need a Heater. Do you have one?

Right now you can barley see it (it is behind Harley) I have one of them Floor Standing Electric oil heaters that I turn on the night before I spray and I also have one of them little ceramic heaters (but I can't run both or it will trip the breaker (I told the contractor when they built the additional garage that I wanted separate breakers for the outlets they didn't wire it up that way. They have one breaker for the whole new garage urgg)). The heaters do okay but when it gets really cold my breath is warmer smile.gif

Hey Rick,

The fish I posted are Oscars and yes they do have teeth but not as bad as your pet Piranha's smile.gif