69 A body Convertible rear speaker

JohnD1956

• 2 weeks later...

John,

Are you sure there was a factory rear seat speaker offered in Convs that year? You might want to check some documentation before cutting into panels. The glass back window allows very little room for error in and around the top well.

Using the old defroster vent for the front speaker when they redid the dash in 68 was NOT one of Buick's better ideas, along with one of the dumbest glove boxes ever put in a car.

I really like the exterior style of the 68/69 but the LeMans interiors looked a lot more luxurious than the Buick's. Post what you find out on the speaker.

Here is a photo of the factory rear seat speaker in my '68 GS convert. Sorry I could not get better detail but that would require me to pull out the back seat and it was not a good time to do that right now.

As you can see the speaker is mounted on the passenger side facing out to the inside of the trunk. It is pretty much useless when the top is down. speaker003.jpg

I used to have a 69 Cutlass with a AM/FM stereo with one speaker in the rear, but that was long ago and couldn't remember which side the speaker was on. It was a waste with the top down, but I have a AM/FM monoral in the GS, so it woun't be so critical.

Thanks for the posts fellows. I appreciate the help

Jd