Need Help on Power Windows

Guest wgwollet

Guest wwollet

The passenger side power window moves up very slowly and when it reaches the top the sounds make a crack. Is this a bad motor? I assume it is because the switch works. The drivers side is slow too, but works better.

How hard is it to fix this and where is the best place to get parts? I didn't see any ideas on the site to fix. Is this a big deal for me to do in my garage? and special tools or anything?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

If the window goes up and down all the way and is quiet but slow the motor/regulator is probably good and all you need to do is lubricate all the tracks that the window slides in. This means taking off the door panel. On the '88-89s it could also be a bad window switch. Sometimes, because the switch is located on the console, dirt gets into the switch and it doesn't work properly. The switch can be taken apart and cleaned.

If the window goes up and down but stops, usually on the way up, and starts moving the window again after a minute or so, the the motor is bad and overheating and cutting out. Dirty and unlubricated tracks also can compound a weak motor. If the window makes noises going up or down or if it stops in the same place going down then the regulator is bad.

Motors can be replaced but are riveted to the regulator and there is also a large spring involved.

I have several Reatta parts cars and have good motor/regulator units available.

I can be reached at jfinn@cppinternet.com

I have owned several Reattas and often the passanger side is sloooow.

Recently my 1991 drivers side seemed to be getting slower so I started by removing the switch assembly from the door panel, removing the connector and spraying with contact cleaner. Put the connector back on the switch and tried them again before tearing into the door and I was surprised how much difference it made.

Being lazy, I stopped there.