tires

looking to purchase a set of new tires and want to know if anyone knows anything about cooper tires. i have never used them and know of no one who ever used them but the dealer down the street said they were better than indoor plumbing.<BR>i"m thinking---buy what i know is good--but what if i am overlooking a great tire. any comments pro or con?<BR>jerry

JP,<BR>I don't have recent experience with Cooper tires but I did try a set of Coopers on a Chevy about 12 years ago and found them poor. As I remember, they were somewhat cheaper than any of the majors but they wore fast and the ride was poor. Others on the site have a different opinion, but I have always replace Reatta tires with the original Goodyear GT+4 and found them very good for ride, traction and especially wear.<P>------------------<BR> My Topless Reatta<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/drbuch2000/TheReatta.html" TARGET=_blank>http://hometown.aol.com/drbuch2000/TheReatta.html</A>

Based on reading through all the posts on tires, and the performance and survey results i found at <A HREF="http://www.tirerack.com" TARGET=_blank>www.tirerack.com</A> Last week I had Michelin Pilot XGT V4 Tires installed. Wow! It's like driving a totally diffrent car ( it had some pretty worn aquatreds on it from when i bought it) She rides so much better now! Quieter, more controled ride motions and boy are these things sticky! it now corners like a "light cycle" from Tron. smile.gif

I agree with the Michelins. I put them on my 91 Reatta conv. this past year. Inproved the handling, ride, and road feel. Check back on Barney's notes. He suggested using a wideer tread, unfortunately after I'd already installed my new ones. Check out Michelin.com for sizes, etc.

I agree with the Michelins. I put them on my 91 Reatta conv. this past year. Inproved the handling, ride, and road feel. Check back on Barney's notes. He suggested using a wideer tread, unfortunately after I'd already installed my new ones. Check out Michelin.com for sizes, etc.

I have no personal experience with Cooper's, however if you want to go with a wider tire, the closest to the standard 215x65-15 is a 235x60-15, which is 0.4% larger than the standard. If you choose this, don't go below a "V" speed rating on whatever tires you choose. The 225x60-15 (1.4% smaller) also works well. That is the size I am running now.<BR>Good Luck

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave Buchanan:<BR><B>JP,<BR>I don't have recent experience with Cooper tires but I did try a set of Coopers on a Chevy about 12 years ago and found them poor. As I remember, they were somewhat cheaper than any of the majors but they wore fast and the ride was poor. Others on the site have a different opinion, but I have always replace Reatta tires with the original Goodyear GT+4 and found them very good for ride, traction and especially wear.<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>I am surprised to hear your comments about Goodyears. I found them expensive, poor traction and short tread life.<BR>

I put a set of Cooper tires on my 90 coupe about 3 years ago. I haven't noticed any poor ware or quality. They seemed to be okay tires. <P>The 89 coupe I bought last week had a brand new set of the wider Goodyears. I cannot tell you enough what a difference in the ride it is. Once the Coopers on my 90 need replaced, I am difinately going with the Goodyears. <P>Remember, your tires are the only part of the car that comes in contact with the road - Invest properly.

I did not post the last message 3 times. I have 16" wheels. Put Michelin Rainforce MX4 215x60x16's on it last summer for around $100/ wheel mounted, balanced, new stems, tax, and environment fees (for disposal of old tires). I'd be interested in what the Cooper dealer was going to charge. My son, who is pretty knowledgable about tires, told me that Michelins had the lightest sidewall, and that this meant flexibility with less heat buildup. He's been running Michelins almost exclusively for years with much better treadlife and wear that any tires I've ever run. We had Goodyears on a Catera which had tread seperation on all four tires and were replaced by Cadillac under the warranty. We insisted they be replaced with Michelins.

I put on a set of Dunlop performance tires installed for around $400 last fall. Handles and rides on dry/wet/snow great. No wear shown yet. Overall I'm very happy with them. I got the car with Yocomote tires. It had ok tread but the sidewalls were cracked. It did not handle/ride/stop as well with those. On wet pavement stopping the ABS would allways kick on. I was told by the tire person that those were rated #2 by someplace next to the Michelins. But the Michelins would have a $100 more. <P>I too think Goodyear Eagle tires are overrated, bad in rain/snow, wear quickly, and over priced. I was told once by a Goodyear shop owner that the most you can expect is 20K miles out of the Eagles.<P>I think Cooper is the middle of the road.<P>Tom

Tom and all,<BR>Maybe it is related to my driving style but I must comment again since I got 52K miles on one set of original Goodyear Eagle GT +4s (on a 89 Reatta) and I just took the original set off my 90 Reatta with 40K miles on them. While they had plenty of tread still on them, and the traction was still pretty good they did have flatspots, but I artibuted that to the fact that the car has been sitting in the garage for most of it's 11 year life. I think flat spots might develop on most any tire that held the wieght of a Reatta for 11 years. <BR>While ride and traction can be a subjective thing, tread wear is pretty simple...number of miles until the tire wears out! Anyone who gets less than 40K miles on a set of Goodyear GT+4s on a Reatta must be driving in a grand prix or living somewhere with roads much different than they are where I live.<BR><P>------------------<BR> My Topless Reatta<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/drbuch2000/TheReatta.html" TARGET=_blank>http://hometown.aol.com/drbuch2000/TheReatta.html</A>

Guest llaramie

I too own a set of Michelin Pilot XGT V4. The performance is very impressive in wet and dry weather. They are rated good for snow, as well and this past winter they passed the Chicago winter-driving test.<BR>ps: If you buy XGT Pilots--make sure they are PILOTS, Michelin also makes an XGT without the PILOT designation which are not an all season tire and much poorer performance stats. (see tirerack.com)