1931 Buick 8-60 Model 65

Guest rcirilli

Guest rcirilli

I resently purchased a 1931 Buick 8-60 model 65. It is a five passenger touring that has not been run in some 22 years. The car is very complete but in need of everything. I am not very familar with Buicks so I have questions. The engine is loose but before trying to run it I want to put some oil in the cylinders. My thought was to very simply pull the plugs and squirt some oil in. That is when I had my first problem. None of my Sockets that appear the right size will go in deep enough to hit the plug base. There appears to be a metal flared ring inserted in the block around each plug. Am I missing something? Does that ring come out or is there a special method for removing these plugs? Thanks.

the original plugs were 1", so it takes a big socket.

You can join the 1930 buick group linked below to get some help on your new project.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear RCirilli:

Welcome aboard also! If you haven't already, join the Buick Club of America. The tech advisors are there to help you and the "parts wanted" ads are your best friends. Also, you'll want to know the name Joe Krepps of Florida, who is a supplier of all things 31 Buick. I hope this gets you off to a good start. Regards, Dave Corbin

• 4 weeks later...
Guest imported_arbys

I had the same problem with my 31-67 Buick. A friend picked up a socket at a swap meet and gave it to me. It had very thin shoulders on the socket (I believe it was 7/8"). This was the only thing that would fit in there.