1936 Buick series 61 Century

tomwallace

I just bought a 1936 Buick 61 Century that is in good condition. When I brought it home I found the gas tank was leaking. The tank is probably quite fixable but does anyone sell a replacment tank??

The interior is in rough shape. Does anyone sell interior kits??

I don't see any other major problems.

All suggestions welcome

Tom Wallace

Dayton, OH

Hi Tom,

As far as I know, there are no replacement tanks available, but there are many businesses out there who can recondition your existing tank. I think there's one called "Gas Tank Renu" or something like that who will guarantee their repairs for life. However, if you are shooting for a concours-quality restoration, be aware that this particular company's work doesn't look OEM. A local radiator shop may also be able to help you and simply solder/weld the tank, though it's getting hard to find anyone willing to do that these days [boom!]

As far as interiors, you might want to try Hampton Coach, Jenkins and SMS Auto Fabrics. Hampton Coach makes many interior kits, though I don't know if they make one for a '36 Century sedan. Jenkins will make you an absolutely perfect interior in original fabrics and with exceptional workmanship, but it'll be expensive. SMS Auto Fabrics can sell you authentic materials and you can find a local upholstery shop who can duplicate the original interior using this fabric. I'm sure others will chime in shortly with their recommendations, too. All the places I've mentioned are on the Web except for maybe Jenkins, but they're in Hemmings and the Buick Bugle each month.

Hope this helps and good luck with your project! A '36 Century is a great car.

• 10 years later...

I just had LeBaron-Bonney make a complete new interior for a 1937 Century  model 61  4-dr. that I'm working on. They have all the patterns and correct fabrics in stock, and it was delivered today in two large boxes, less than two weeks after I placed the order. Price was between $5000 and $6000.  Includes carpet, seat upholstery front and rear, headliner, trunk lining, interior door panels,front kick panels, sun visors, windlace, etc.

I will install it myself. I'm sure they have patterns and fabrics for the '36 as well.

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)