What seems to be a good car polish

I am going to polish the El Camino and would like to find out which car polish would work best on the chrome and paint. Just wanting to get my baby looking good. Can you let me know which one's to purchase and which ones to stay away from. Thankyou<P><BR>Matt Coppens<BR>1960 Chevrolet El Camino

Guest BruceW

Matt.<BR>I've aways been quite satisfied with anything from Mequiers. Have used it for years. But each person has their favorite so you might have to experiment with a few.

I mean that products by Zymoel are the best ones. You know these waxes? It is a bit more work as usual and not very cheap but the result is perfect. You can get different waxes for bright or dark laquers. You have to make two steps, because it is a 2-Step System. First you have to clean the laquer with a product by Zymoel and after this you can lay on the wax. See: <A HREF="http://www.zymol.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.zymol.com</A> <P>------------------<BR>Thomas Borchers<BR>Member of AACA # 004829<BR>HCCA and MAFCA<p>[This message has been edited by ThomasBorchers (edited 07-24-2000).]

Guest Old55ford

Mequiers are very good as stated above I used the body scrub first and then the Mequiers wax It is still looking good after one year I only use Mequiers on my show car <BR>A seinor AACA winner<P><BR>Buddy

I am in the paint business (have been for over 20 years) and I would buy toasters from Mequiers if they made them! I represent a company that sells paint and polishes (only a few) though they work good and many customers swear by them, I still use Mequiers. <P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.

I have used many different polishes and wax's over the years. I stock heavily with Mequiars products, but use only certain ones and not one hand polish of theirs. A few of my favorite auto polishes are Astro-Shield, Formula 2001 Polish (liquid), and 3M's Imperial Hand Glaze. The longest lasting is the Astro-Shield.<P>Matt, Check out <A HREF="http://www.meguiars.com" TARGET=_blank>www.mequiars.com</A> There is a lot there to learn!<P>Rick<p>[This message has been edited by Rick Hoover (edited 07-24-2000).]

A few years ago, a friend who is a professional restorer found an absolutely original Model A. The paint was really thin, hust on the verge of getting surface rust. Went by a few days later and the body was really shiny - looked good. I asked what his wife (she does most of the polishing) used and he replied McGwyrs 30. I had used Meguieres products and never heard of #30 and also told my friend that he mispelled the name. He argued his case by pulling out a can of 30 weight motor oil and said it sure did stop the rust and made the car shiny. This is a true story! (ps: Not recommended)

Ron, Don't tell us you never heard of, or cleaned and polished a vehicle with kerosene rags? One of my earliest jobs as a kid was doing that for a company in my hometown on their trucks. They always had some of the best looking and cared for equipment on the highway.<P>Rick