Dash Display

2Breezy

Hi All

Havn't posted for years but now I have a problem. My 1990 convertible has 38000 miles. Yesterday the digital dash went dark. It shows "error" and a light appears that says "electrical problem". When I push the "test" button, the dash lights up and all guages appear to work. Problem doesn't appear to cause any issues with the way the car runs.

I don't do my own work so I'll take the car to my GM dealer. They aren't very aware of Reattas so I'm wondering what I should ask them to do. I suspect that I will need a new display? I live in western Canada and am wondering where is the best place to find a replacement or refurbished unit?

Thanks for your help.

Guest F14CRAZY

Depends. This isn't too hard to do...

With the system running, press and hold OFF and WARMER. After a few seconds, you'll be in diagnostic mode. The odometer will display any errors codes that are happening or that have happened. Report back with what you find and we should be able to tell what's wrong.

I forgot which buttons exits diagnostic mode, but turning the system off will return it.

The most common item to go bad in the '90-91 Reattas is the IPC ( instrument panel cluster)and when it goes bad you get the symptoms exactly as you describe. It is very easy to replace it and the only tool you would need is a #15 torx driver. This is the same size as the screws that hold the bezels around the headlights.

You simply remove the trim panel in front of the IPC and then the the 4 screws that hold the IPC in place. If you still can't do it yourself ask the neighbor rather than pay the GM dealer. It's about a 10 minute job.

I have good used IPCs and can be reached at jfinn@cpinternet.com

If you are interested include your Postal Code for shipping costs.

Guest maybe2fast

see my dash went dark, but the test button does nothing except turn the console lights off. and the guages don't come on

You mentioned your dash displayed "ERROR".

This can happen when the VATS chip on your key is not properly conducting with the contacts in the ignition switch, causing the computer to disable operation.

Try cleaning the little "pill" in the key, then check to see if this happens when the key is inserted. Sometimes worn contacts in the ignition switch, or worn "pill" on the key can cause the "ERROR" display. Wiggling the key can determine if this may be the problem.

If so, one can install a resistor of matching value in the steering column harness to eliminate the need for a VATS key w/pill in it, and a normal key can be used.