Odd But Familiar

Aeronaut

I've spent hours trying to ID this one... without success. I thought the very distinctive hood would have made it easy. Boy, was I wrong.

Features are similar to the Rambler and Packard styling from 1904-1906.

Any comments on this circa 1905 Touring Tonneau would be greatly appreciated. Photos were taken near Los Angeles, probably Pasadena area.

I hate to put undue pressure on anyone, but you fellows are my last hope.confused.gif Thanks in advance.

Happy Trails

Rod

To.The.Mountains.x2.jpg

to my understanding the length of time to take a picture was fairly great. i know in early photography it would be upwards of 10min so would have been hard to hold a pose without moving that was not natural. im not sure of the time it took to get a picture on film by the time this would have been taken tho.

Of all the models I've looked at, the coachwork of the Tourist most closely matches the photos in question. I think the door gives it away. It's quite unique and personally I can't find this particular shape on any other make or model.

Unfortunately there is very little about the Auto Vehicle Company Tourist on the www and only 1907 models to compare to. Remarkably, a circa 1905 ad from an LA history website shows an almost exact matching fender, thus imho, eliminating your doubts. Thank you for your help Mike. I accept this is probably a 1906 Tourist Touring Car. The facts all seem to fit. FYI I'm almost certain these photos were taken in or around Pasadena about March 1909 by aviation pioneer Roy Knabenshue, probably using a camera such as a Kodak Brownie which would have a shutter speed of 1/30 sec. More on that later.

Happy Trails

Rod

1907.AVCo.Tourist.jpg

TouristRunabout.gif

Im going to guess it's a Yale. The Tourist has a much more pronounced curve to the radiator lines. I also believe the Tourist had gently curving rear fenders rather than a straight running board meeting up with the rear fender. Tourist and I also think Queen used an access port in the top of the hood also and that doesnt show in the pictures.

Just a guess-

Terry

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...