How can I get Reatta to pass the emissions test during inspection...can someone help?

<BR>My 1990 Reatta with 50,000 miles sat in the garage for about 5 months. I changed the oil and have driven the car about 100 miles and can't get the car to pass the emissions test during inspection. Does anyone have any suggestions that would help me to pass the emissions test during inspection? Thank you for your help and I look forward to hearing from you soon.<P>Sincerely,<BR>Alan D. Sims<BR>MemphisCalipari@aol.com

On a emmision failure at 50K I would check the following and replace these parts if they are not already new:<P>Air filter- you did<BR>Oil change- you did<BR>Fuel filter<BR>PCV valve<BR>Plugs<BR>O2 sencer<P>Make sure the engine gets to operating temp or a thermistate is needed.<P>I would check for vacuum leaks, ignition misses, and ECM codes.<P>If that does not do it you may need to have the fuel pressure tested, canister purge tested, catalatic converter tested, ECM sencers checked, EGR tested/cleaned, and injectors tested/cleaned. <P>Tom

Proper operating temp is critical. If the engine was cold or idling for a long time, the emmissions values go up. These engines really operate cleanly when everything works.

Or you can just add gas line antifreeze, it works everytime to reduce emissions. Obviously, you should repair what is needed to pass, but if you need something quick, this does help. (Note this is not antifreeze for your Rad, but for your gas so it doesn't freeze in cold temps. Hope you can get it where you live.) And yes, get it up to operating temp. the hotter the better.

I now have replaced the PCV Valve and also replaced all 6 spark plugs. The 6 spark plugs that were in there previously were ACDelco Part # R44LTS6, the WRONG Part #. <BR>I checked with Advance Auto Parts and AutoZone and the spark plug part # was supposed to be R45LTS6. I also changed the air filter. I am going to go buy some Emission Reducer Liquid and if that doesn't work, I will try some gas line antifreeze. I passed the hydrocarbon test at 213 with a 220 standard. I failed the Carbon Monoxide test at 1.85% with a 1.2% standard. Thank you for your help and let me know if you can think of anything else I can do cheaply to pass the emissions test.<P>Sincerely,<BR>Alan D. Sims

Guest kennyw

like the guy said, let the tank get real low on gas and put in the gas line anti-freeze. About three bottles.I ask for the tail pipe test and after looking at the ctr screen they do it every time. I tell them that the anti-lock brakes will show up on the screen and will cost big bucks to get the dealer to fix it. Front wheels turning and the rear stoped. <BR> kennyw

You Hydrocarbons passede bat they are too high also. What engine speeds were the tests taken at? Was there a o2 and CO2 reading too? A restricted PCV valve will cause high CO readings at idle only. I think you still might want to consider a fuel filter and O2 sencer. I guess it depends on how many retests you get. I'm not big on gas additives. Injector cleaner would not hurt as long as you burned thru the tank before taking the test. <P>Tom

Tom is right. I flew through the emissions test with barely ANY emissions whatsoever, coming far below state authorized standards. As another "Quick Fix", do this. As stated before, change your pcv valve and run gas line antifreeze through a tank of gas. Run car til near empty and refill with Sunoco (or other brand) Extremely high test gas; no less than 94 octane (I was running 104 octane Sunoco, and usually no less than 94; never less than 93). After filling tank w/ high test gas, go to Autozone and puchase 108 octane booster, about 16-32oz. Pour the whole bottle in the tank (don't worry, it won't hurt it.) Drive the car at least 50miles at 55mph (the higher the better but watch yourself, less you get a ticket). Immediately take to Emissions Station and take test. Your car will pass with no problem if all that failed you is CO. This is an old fix and they still haven't found a way to stop cars from passing from this. grin.gif Hey sometimes the old way is the best way.

if you live in the state of ohio you might try to apply for a collectors sticker. it will keep the car out of that STUPID e-check that seems to be a new standard for anything anymore. that way you can take the time to reduce and properly get it up to running. besides how many other cars that are newer than your car and still can't pass?