Withdrawel Symptons... No car at home

Bill Stoneberg

I have gotten my car to a point where this past week I took it to a woodworker and paint and body man in Alabama. Its going to be gone for 6 - 9 months (he says... we will see).<BR>I can see from looking at all my parts I didn't take, that I probably have 2 - 3 months work of work to do before I run out of cleaning, blasting, and painting tasks.<BR>After that what do I do ? I have always had at least a couple of cars going to keep me busy but I sold the hotrods recently.<BR>Its going to seem strange not going to the garage to work every night and / or every Saturday. How do you handle the withdrawle symptons ? <BR>Any of you who have done this before, I welcome suggestions. And no, my wife will not let me have a new "Project" until this one is done (And maybe not then). <BR>Bill

Bill,<BR>In that I live in Alabama, I am curious as to where you took your "baby". <BR>Also, with regard as to what to do, what to do with your spare time...how about penning an article for your local newsletter on what it is like when your "baby went off to camp" for a while? Look foward to hearing about the progress.<BR>Patt

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Let's see... You could do all those things she's been wanting you to do, but you were too busy with the car. In my case that'd be:<P>1. Doing my taxes.<BR>2. Painting the dining room.<BR>3. Putting up a chair rail in said dining room.<BR>4. Putting up wall paper below said chair rail.<BR>5. Building a deck.<P>Yeah, that's about 9 months worth.

Ever consider putting in some work for your local club? <BR> <BR>Organize an outing?<BR>Work on a raffle vehicle?<BR>Clean up the clubhouse?<BR>Repaint the club stantions? (sp?)<P>Lord knows local clubs would appreciate the help. smile.gif<P>Peter<P>------------------<BR>Peter Gariepy<BR>AACA Webmaster<BR> peterg@aaca.org <BR>www.aaca.org

Patt,<BR>I took my car to a little town called Summerdale Alabama close to Mobile. There is a gentleman there who does great woodworking and paint and body. He had a 47 Chevy almost finished that looked brand new.<BR>As far as a column or article goes, I will think about that. I am normally verbose enough to do that.<BR>Rick, I found a great woodworker who does some very good work. He is close enough (1000 miles or so) so I can check him out on a long weekend too. I dont think my neighbor would like it if I ripped his truck apart though. But my wife reminded me today that I had been wanting to do suspension work on my '47 so now I have time.<BR>Hal, I had to do all that stuff before I got this latest car. We totally remodeled our house. That wont get done anytime soon again. I like projects, but that was a big one.<BR>Peter, I hadn't thought of that but I may see about some of your ideas.<BR>Another friend called me at work today too and he wants me to go hiking and camping in Colorado this fall. It will take me all Summer to get into shape for that kind of trip.<BR>So it looks like I may not be too bored but right now I still have an empty feeling. It was strange walking into the garage today and not seeing the car there.<BR>Bill

Patt:<P>What a great idea! And it could be an ongoing column until his pride and joy is back in the garage. Of course, if the reports start to become rambling and incoherent the longer his car is away, you might have to pull the plug. This old car disease definitely affects the mind!<P>Jan K.

Bill,<BR>Know Summerdale well. We are in Mobile. As a matter of fact, when you were on I-10 at Exit 15A, you were within 3 miles of us.<BR>And Saturday, 3/17 our club was in Baldwin county on an outing with our old cars. Too bad we didn't know about each other.<BR>Hopefully, when you come through to check on<BR>the car next time, we can meet you at the<BR>Shoney's and buy you a cup of coffee.<BR>A few years back when Tom Cresap (Alaska)and his wife were moving her parents from FL to New Mexico they stopped and we were able to take them to lunch and to visit our club-house. This had occurred via newsletter ex-change followed by E-mail exchanges.<BR>Boy, it really is a small world.<BR>By the way, is Tom still on the "net" anywhere?<BR>Patt

Hey Bill, now that the garage has some empty space in it I recommend you start collecting some stuff to put in there - a couple of old gas pumps, some nice signs to hang on the wall, maybe even an old display cabinet to fill with old oil cans, spark plugs, tools, or whatever might go nicely with your car. That is if you have any $ left over after the restoration project is finished - but seriously, collecting stuff has been a lot of fun and it's really gotten a bunch of folks together in our club to share the thrill of the hunt and the joy of discovery. Besides, you can never have enough toys!<BR>Terry

No Terry, I am trying to get rid of stuff at the moment. I am a packrat and dont like to throw stuff away. It drives my wife nuts. Collecting anything is a bad idea. I realize it caould and probably fun but if I started that I would have to get a new house or a new wife and I dont want to do either.<BR>Jim,<BR>The car went back on the frame easily. I powdercoated everything underneath, rebuilt the rear end, front suspension and brakes. After putting the car back on the frame I gutted the inside and removed a lot of the wood. It hardly liiked like a Woodie anymore. I hope it will look more like one when I get it back.<BR>Patt, I will take you up on your offer when we go to look at the car in the next few months. I want to see your Falcon.<BR>Bill

whew, this is a tough one. I sold my 67 GTO convertable in december of 2000, I lasted all of 4 months ( almost ) before giving in and buying my 41 Royal. I can only go by personal experience, but some of these things helped get me through...<P>1. Watch car movies anything from Christine to chitty chitty bang bang<P>2. Prepare garage for her return home, do that cleaning youve been meaning to do, restock tools etc...<P>3. Tell your wife your hands are bored, and you could "use" her help for awhile.<P>4. start reading old car trader or hemmings to keep updated<P>5. If all else fails begin drinking till ya forget.... what was I saying???<P>6. Remember, youll be a happy camper as soon as shes done, so tell all your coworkers every detail each day. <P>7. About the time they start hiding from you at the cooler, your car should be done!!<P><BR>Good Luck, I hope your car comes out great!<P>Rick

Thanks Rick, <BR>Those are good ideas. So far it hasn't been too bad (of course it has only been 1 weekend). <BR>My wife drug me to see Miss Saigon on Saturday (an I must admit I enjoyed it) and then went canoeing on Sunday.<BR>This weekend we are driving the '47 Buick to a little town with about 40 other old Buicks. In this little town are arts and crafts (YAWWNNN). Some of us talk cars or something while some shop.<BR>So thats two weekends down. Lets ee how I do after a month or too. <BR>I already want to call the person to see how the car is doing but I am resisting the urge.<BR>Bill

Bill ~ An idea as to how you can fill ALL of your spare time for the next 6 months.<P>Take your very simple and straightforward formula for determining the proper winner for long distance driven car awards, and factor in all of the variables offered by the respondents on that thread. Now there is an undertaking shocked.gif<P>Get back to us in September and tell us how you are progressing. cool.gif<P>REMEMBER: An elephant is a flea designed by a committee. wink.gif or even worse, by the government.<P>hvs smile.gifsmile.gif

Bill:<P>I own a '72 Triumph TR-6. I would appreciate your help in figuring out the mind-set of Lucas' electrical engineers. (Most of them are in jail, and, maybe up for parole, soon). <P>On second thought, you don't have 21 years to kill. Sorry I asked.<P>A friend once told me, that, if there were ever World War III, Lucas would be put in charge of electronics, thus, no one would get hurt/killed as nothing would work.<P>Regards, Peter J.

I believe I heard or read recently that Lucas was NOT acually a true manufacturer of electric components. I understood it to say that Lucas actually assembled their products from parts manufactured elsewhere, and then sold them under the Lucas name. If this is a fact, then that might help to explain the quality control problems from the Prince of Darkness.<P>Does anybody out there KNOW if there is any truth to that story?

Howard: <P>I have a library on Standard Triumph & Leyland. Will dig up history.<P>Interesting point you make. Triumph had a history of "farming out". Karmann of Germany and Michelotti of Italy both had design charges for the TR's. Their demise, in my opinion, was the TR-7/8. Leyland was in such a rush to compete with the Datsun 240, or, at the time, the sleek sportscar, <BR>that they farmed out practically everything.<BR>The TR-7 is an electrical nightmare. <P>Regards, Peter J.<BR>

I have many BL products (Triumphs, MG's, Jaguars, AH's) in my lifetime and if I EVER see another Lucas Electric part, it will be too soon. Prince of Darkness indeed !<BR>I have made the switch to Delco and will never go back.<P>Now, I got to get back to the calculations Howard asked me about. So far I have burned up 2 computers.<P>Bill