McLaughlin Buicks

Guest imported_Thriller

Guest imported_Thriller

I know Keith Horsfall is the guy to talk to, but I thought I'd tap into the wisdom of the forum. So as not to hijack another thread further, here is a response Dave Corbin made to a question of mine about numbers of McLaughlin Buicks produced:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dear Derek:

I'm not sure how exactly to respond to your question, but here's some info. In 1907, Buick sent McLaughlin 154 model F engines and built 4000 themselves, or about 3.5 %. Over the 50 year span from 1907-1958, Buick built about 9 million cars and sent about 200,000 engines to McLaughlin/GM of Canada for Buicks there. I hope this helps. Regards, Dave Corbin </div></div>

Now, I'm guessing the 1958 is perhaps a typo for 1948? I'm certain McLaughlin was no longer in place in the 50s (my '56 is a GM Canada car and I think the '52 Roadmaster is as well). I'm not sure what years they ran.

Anyway, what is the collective wisdom about production numbers, differences, etc.? My understanding is that McLaughlin Buicks were, if anything, a bit more upscale than Buicks. I'd love to hear what people know.

If anyone is ever up this way, it would be my pleasure to take you out to the Manitoba Automobile Museum - it is about a 3 hour drive from Winnipeg, but they have quite the collection of cars, almost all of which were local to southwestern Manitoba originally. There are quite a number of McLaughlin Buicks in this collection. Not all the cars are restored either - a number of them are in their original condition.

I guess it is past time I joined the McLaughlin Buick club as well...I'm just so good at procrastination.

Guest ewing

I don't have any production numbers, but I can tell you that when I first got my 1938 McLaughlin Buick, I was told this was the last year they badged the McLaughlins. There are two badge locations on the car with 'McLaughlin Buick', the trunk badge, and the front bumper centre piece. I was impressed at the time thnking what a unique car, being the last year of the McLaughlin Buick.[ not just any old Buick].

The other location is the id plate on the firewall.( I can't go out and check it... still winter here), but as I recall it has the Canada assembly plant locations on that tag... Regina , Oshawa.

I was also told that the Canadian Buicks tended to use the surplus trim from prior years. This could just be a fable but my car ( when I bought it in '67), was truly all original and had the smooth , 1937 type hubcaps. I was told by other Buick guys at the time that that was what was put on the Canadian assembled 38's.

I'm not a member of the McLaughlin Buick club, so I may be contradicted, but that's the info I can offer.

As far as I know there was nothing deluxe ( per se) about the Canadian assembled Buicks, except you may find a variety of prior production year trim on some.

Guest mclbuick2002

Mclaughlin cars were made in Canada from 1908 when production was 154 until 1922.In 1923 they became Mclaughlin Buicks until 1942.Highest production was in 1923 at 17,255 , lowest was in 1942 at only 211.Production tended to be about 10% of American production.

Like in other car manufacturers,parts from one year may be found in an earlier or later year.My 1930 has an original steering box from a 1931.

There may be several differences between American and Canadian Buicks. For example,1936 Mclaughlin Buick wheels have clips on hubcaps while the American Buick has clips on the wheels.

To my knowledge, the Manitoba museum in Elkhorn has only Mclaughlins from about 1908 until 1917.I did not see any Mclaughlin Buicks there in 2004.

You should join the Mclaughlin Buick club,you own one.

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To my knowledge, the Manitoba museum in Elkhorn has only Mclaughlins from about 1908 until 1917.I did not see any Mclaughlin Buicks there in 2004.

You should join the Mclaughlin Buick club,you own one. </div></div>

Yeah, it has been a few years since I was at Elkhorn, so my memory is foggy.

Keith is faxing me an application on Monday, so I'll be a member soon...that one car is going to have me in more clubs than all the others combined cool.gif

Does anyone know if the <span style="font-style: italic">Standard Catalog of Buick</span> production numbers included the McLaughlin Buicks or not? Alternatively, does anyone have numbers for production of McLaughlin Buicks? I'm just kind of in a wondering / curiousity / research mode waiting for the work to be done on the Wildcat and the snow to start melting.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Derek:

The number of 200,000 is approximately McLaughlin/Buick production from 1908 thru 1952. By 1958, the total was 298,617. I was just working from memory. This actual figure is compiled from GM of Canada records loaned to me by Terry Dunham.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Derek:

Just a little more on Buick in Canada. I've managed to find the actual production records of the Jackson plant of Buick for 1907 and computerize them. It reveals the a man named "McMitch" bought a 1907 D model at the Chicago Auto show and had it shipped to Winnipeg before the McLaughlins were involved. At the end of that year, 8 Buick Model D's were shipped to "McLaughlin" and the Buick records say "No Paint", which is certainly an interesting set of remarks! Obviously, they would be an addition to the 154 Model F engined cars.

Regards, Dave Corbin