1957 Lincoln - Did they have a wire wheel option??

Guest BJM

I am looking at a 57 Lincoln Premier project. Did Lincolns of this period offer a wire wheel option similar to Buck / Cadillac / Chrysler or am I out of luck? I don't think I have ever seen a Lincoln with wire sheels including the Continental.

Please advise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking at a 57 Lincoln Premier project. Did Lincolns of this period offer a wire wheel option similar to Buck / Cadillac / Chrysler or am I out of luck? I don't think I have ever seen a Lincoln with wire sheels including the Continental.

Please advise. </div></div>

I don't believe so. Buick had wire wheels available for the '53-54 Skylark, Chrysler for the '55-'56 300's, and Thunderbird for their '62-'63 Sport Roadster package, but I never saw them for the '56-'57 Lincoln.

Art

Thanks. What a shame. The Lincoln hubcaps for 1957 have no imagination. They were basically discs with ornamentation in the middle. All of the other companies mentioned offered the Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels either as standard or optins. As a Buick collector I knew about the Buicks but needed confirmation that Lincoln was not offering the wheels. Thanks!

Cadillac had Saber wheels, a fluted aluimiun cast with a small center cap.

The Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels, are not correct, but never stoped anyone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks. What a shame. The Lincoln hubcaps for 1957 have no imagination. They were basically discs with ornamentation in the middle. All of the other companies mentioned offered the Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels either as standard or optins. As a Buick collector I knew about the Buicks but needed confirmation that Lincoln was not offering the wheels. Thanks! </div></div>

Bear in mind that the 1950's were all about "modern", and wire wheels really didn't fit that image in the mind of most car buyers. Had it not been for the "niche" popularity of European sports cars in the 50's, it's likely that Kelsey-Hayes wouldn't have bothered to build those wire wheels, and the likes of Buick or Chrysler would never have thought of offering them as optional equipment, either.

In any case, those chrome wire wheels weren't very popular, wire wheels were then, and still are, a PITA to keep clean, for example. Yet, they had their panache--the 1953 Ford Crestline Convertible that paced the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race that year wore a set of them, but Ford didn't offer them as an option that I am aware of, the actual Pace car being the only one built with them.

Art

For what it's worth - - - -

When you asked about wire wheels, It reminded me that I have a Lincoln Sales Manual for Premiere and Capri models that the dealers had for 57. I dug it out and find no mention of wire wheels. The only thing relating to wheels and tires in the accessories section is tire chains and white wall cleaner

Dan

Say Dan and Art and everyone, thanks.

The comment about the wire wheels being seen as old fashioned and a PITA to keep clean is not something I thought about. But they would be. Now, today, a 54 -56 Buick especially - looks pretty good with them installed.

I knew about the Cadillac Sabre hubcaps but remember the 53 Eldorado's had the Kelsey-Hayes, right? Also, the Sabre hubcaps were wll thought out and attractive and I think they weighed a lot.

I don't want to offend the Lincoln crowd, and I think the hubcaps are OK - but a lot less imagination for the flagship car for Lincoln (and the Cont Mark II).

Thanks for settling the question.