Blinker Bulb - Yellow or white

Ted Davenport

I am having troubles finding the front blinker bulb...everywhere I go, the parts people are giving me a clear bulf for the blinker - however the other existing bulb is yellow. Now I have a white bulb on the front left, and a yellow on the front right (and it drives me crazy). I want YELLOW, it just looks better - it matches all the parking lights...anyone know where I can find it? I have been to both Pep Boys, and a Buick dealer.<P>Not the corning lamp, but the front blinker bulb (right next to the three parking lights).

Hi Ted -<BR>For the front blinker bulb, clear is correct. The light assembly actually has a clear yellow glass 'globe' in it that makes the white halogen appear yellow. Unfortunately, these little glass pieces are very fragile & easily broken if a bulb is pulled out at the wrong angle. Even more bad news ... to make it yellow again, you've got to replace the entire assembly (bet you choke on the price of that part ...).<P>------------------<BR>REATTA SITE:<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/gohighr/reatta.html" TARGET=_blank><BR>http://members.aol.com/gohighr/reatta.html</A>

I removed and replaced one of my parking light assemblies. The service manual photo<BR>shows three bolts holding it in. The text<BR>accompanying the photo states there are five<BR>bolts. There are actually four. You need a <BR>7mm socket on an extension to get to three of the bolts that you reach from the bottom<BR>of the lamp. You need an open end wrench to get to the other which is on the top side of the lamp. You may have a hard time locating<BR>that one and you probably won't get it back<BR>in. The other three are holding just fine.<BR>Be sure and use a jack stand when you jack it<BR>up.

I made the mistake of breaking one of those inner yellow globes that shroud the white halogen bulbs. Since the whole assembly is outrageously expensive and the globes are impossible to find, I removed the other yellow globe and am running with two white blinkers. I'm not sure that this is legal, but in the 50's and 60's most cars had white blinkers. Awhile back on this post, someone had the same dilemma and painted the tips of the halogen bulbs yellow with some sort of high-heat paint that would adhere to glass. <BR>The only other alternative would be to buy a<BR>used or cracked assembly at a low cost, take it apart and remove the yellow globe and re-install in your assembly. This is difficult since the assembly is sealed with some sort of caulk. Also, on the 1990 the assemblies are indeed fastened with 4 screws accessed<BR>from underneath. Hope this helps!<BR>

I hate to admit what I did. The turn bulb was burned out, I removed it the old way by<BR>wiggling and pulling instead of just turning to release. I had to remove the lamp to silicon the parts back together. Took me about four hours which included a trip to buy<BR>the wrench and the replacement bulb. If I had bought the bulb before I started I would have seen how to remove it. But NO, like the last Xmas toy I assembled, I read the instructions after I got in trouble.

If you don't mind a little bit of "trial and error" On an 89 Reatta that I once owned, I found a way to make the light amber or "orange" again without having to spend a lot of money for a new assembly. Buy the clear bulb and then go to a Craft or Hobby shop (one in this area is called Michaels. Buy some orange glass paint. YOU MUST GET THE KIND THAT WILL TAKE HIGH TEMP. Paint the tip of the bulb and let it dry a few minutes. Install it and check it with the other side for correct color. It took me a couple times and I found it easier to do late in the day or in a dark room. I was able to match the color and intensity of the other light. Nobody but me ever know that the orange refelector was broken. <P>------------------<BR> My Topless Reatta<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/drbuch2000/TheReatta.html" TARGET=_blank>http://hometown.aol.com/drbuch2000/TheReatta.html</A>

We had a similar discussion on this subject back in Feb 2000. titled "Steady left turn signal!!" under the registered name MSWELLS. MSWELLS had a dealer quote of $450. I had a quote from my dealer of $250. for a complete<BR>assembly. Barney offered to take a look at this assembly for a better solution if someone would donate an old one for that purpose. I don't know if anyone did. I never replaced mine and had completely forgotten about it till now.<BR>Joe

Guest kennyw

If all else fails::::::read the instructions. I have always been told don't touch the halogen bulbs. Even the oil from you fingers will ruin the bulb. Now I am told I can paint the bulb,,,,,,,,whats--up<BR>kennyw

Found amber 194's at local flea market at 3 for a buck. They had plenty if anyon is in need I could buy them up and make them available. Thats what I found in my 90 coupe on the side lights. I have noticed a diff in my 90 conv. On it when I activate turn signal a bright light on that side comes on. On my coupe that doesnt happen. Which is correct. The light makes sense. Ithelps illuminate the turn area.

• 2 weeks later...

My 89 parts book shows the turn signal light as a package. The right side is#5975412 and the left side is#5975411. The amber bulbs are available at Napa. Their part number is 194NA. I bought a box of 10 for 6.00. Skip

Kenny it is true that the oil in Your fingers will cause a halogen bulb to overheat and shorten its life. I believe what is being suggested is if You do paint the bulb hold on t it with a pair of gloves at the base and paint the light globe with the paint. the paint will not hurt the bulb. It is more a dye than anything else. I've been painting bulbs for near 40 years and have never seen it hurt one. Skip

Guest kennyw

SKIP,you have been painting bulbs for 40 years. How many of them were HALOGEN? I have been told anything on the glass of these bulbs will shorten their life or worse crack the glass. I just put super whites, witch are halogen in one car and the instructions said even if you didn't touch them it was a good idea to clean them before installing. As far as I know you can't dye glass. The color has to be in with the liquid glass..........

Kenny I think maybe You and I are talking about 2 different lights. The halogen bulbs are the cornering lights not the turn signals. I was under the impression He was talking about the 194 bulbs that buick likes so Much. And Yes My Friend I painted My first bulbs in My first car when I was 16. I am a whole bunch older now. I was not trying to insult You. Just trying to furnish info to give back to all Who have so graciously given to Me. Sorry if I offended You somehow

Skip,<BR>Keep up the good work and thanks for your contributions to the discussion. Kenny is not smart enough to even become a registered user. Don't worry about him. We have to put up with a few like him who get there kicks making anonymous comments if we are to keep this discussion open to all. By and large we have intelligent folks who lean and make contributions to this group. Those of us who own Reattas know what the 194 bulb is..right?<BR><P>------------------<BR> My Topless Reatta<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/drbuch2000/TheReatta.html" TARGET=_blank>http://hometown.aol.com/drbuch2000/TheReatta.html</A>

Thanks Dave. I needed that. I feel sorry for someone Who has trouble accepting the help that is so freely given on this site. I understand that not all answers are the perfect answer[including mine] but to all that answer and offer their help I say, Thank You very much. I have been working professionally on cars for many years but I still learn daily and this site is one of those I learn from. Most of the People here have had Reattas far longer than I so I can and do learn from them. This is a very drawn out way to say thanks to all of You. Skip

Guest Hitzzz

I've got the same problem with my 90, amber bulb showing white ...I tried the paint (high temp) from a hobby store but it burned off in a couple of days. My turn signal bulb is a type 890. (halogen) is a type 194 compatable ... ??? If so I may want to get some of those bulbs that were available from the flea market ...!!!!!!

The 880 bulb is the cornering lite. On Mine it comes on solid when Your turn signals are on. No sadly they will not interchange. If this is the bulb You want to paint You may want to check for a hi temp paint. I think someone said it is available at Michaels. And Yes that sucker gets HOT! And They arent too cheap. Skip Hope I didnt add to the confusuion

Skip,<BR>Thanks for the explaination and confirmation. I know that the one I painted lasted for months and months until I sold the car. Since those bulbs get so hot, I had assumed that it might "burn" the paint and turn dark with time but it did not. The amber color lasted. I did used good paint from a craft store.<BR>Dave<P>------------------<BR> My Topless Reatta<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/drbuch2000/TheReatta.html" TARGET=_blank>http://hometown.aol.com/drbuch2000/TheReatta.html</A>

I think I figured out how GM made those amber globes, why they did, and why the break so easy. With some patience the globes can be mde at home. I don't have a orignal one and don't want to disassemble a good light to see a good one. But as far as I can tell my replacement amber globe would be the same size color and shape. It does also take a lot of patience to disassemble the marker lamp to replace the amber globe.<P>Tom<p>[This message has been edited by Tom Walsh (edited 04-01-2001).]

Guest kennyw

Skip and the guys, FIRST, no offence taken Skip........read post # 42 and 242 Here. The white halogen bulb is stated as the turn signal bulb and also states that it goes into a glass [yellow] tube. This, if you remember is what all the stores tried to give him for the [TURN SIGNAL]. So you see guys the high temp.[HALOGEN] bulb is for the turn signals. Yes, there is another bulb for the cornering light. Another guy said that painting didn't work. Still another post says they want a donation of this part so they can get a fix for the [YELLOW TUBE]. They do use a few of the little yellow bulbs but [GUYS] this is not what we are talking about. I didn't build Reattas but spent 28 years at G.M and as a mater of fact installed light bulbs for a time.....but alas no halogen at the time.

So I guess the question is....can I paint the halogen "blinker" bulb? I have not tried it yet...but if someone has already done this, and it burned off - I don't want to duplicate the mistake. <P>Skip - the bulb I am talking about is the one that actually blinks (it is definitely a halogen bulb - not the little ones that are all over the car)...Is that the one you painted? If so, you said you found it at Michaels - what is the paint meant for? Do you know who makes it? <P>Thanks again for all of your help!!!

You have me confused........... <BR>In each of the front light assemblies there are a total of 6 bulbs.<BR>The turn signal bulb that flashes is a 890 halogen.<BR>The cornering lamp that stays on steady when the turn signal is activated is a 890 halogen<BR>There are three 194NA (A is for amber) bulbs in the front and one at the side.<P>Since I have never had a problem or seen a broken assembly, the yellow or amber insert in the turn signal housing may get broken from trying to install the lamp incorrectly or it may be glued in and the adhesive fails or someone may have incorrectly installed a 880 halogen which is about 1/4 inch longer and MAY (I don't have a lamp book) be a higher output and either melt or the additional heat may crack the amber insert and it falls apart.<P>I am still open to inspecting a bad unit or units to try and help resolve this problem. <P>------------------<BR>Barney Eaton Reatta technical advisor for BCA and keeper of the Reatta database.

Guys I am sorry I havent been able to answer anything but I have been having trouble signing on. Anyway the problem for Me is all My bulbs with the exception of My cornering light are 194 amber. I guess Mine has been modified. And no I have not tried to color halogen. I even went out and pulled My light assy to check again and I dont have a flashing halogen. I do believe someone makes a hi temp coloring and I think Dave might have said He bought some at Michaels. I dont like to give bad info but apparently I was wrong. But innocently smile.gif So does anyone else not have a halogen turn signal bulb?

Has anyone considered just replacing all the other parking lights with clear bulbs? I accidently broke out a amber globe too, but instead of painting bulbs or getting special bulbs, I just decided to white-out. EURO-STYLE BABY!<P>Mike/EdgeCrusher<BR>

Regarding 40 years of painting bulbs....<P>Before they had bulbs, we used to paint our candles out here in the west, but the bristles on the paint brush kept burning.

Hey EdgeCrusher...read my post above (steve90). I broke the amber bulbs and am going with all white lights in front. Looks good, although the white blinker is super bright and is harder to see when the headlights are on. I may try painting the halogen blinker as suggested by some, or may stay with the white blinker and go back to the yellow parking lights. It seems that all cars have amber front turn signals these days. Is it legal to run white front signals?

Up until the mid-60s all cars had white turn signal lights. Then, in 65 or 66 (I am pretty sure it was 66) they switched to amber. Now, I can't quote an actual law, but I am pretty sure it was a federal safety law that the turn signal and "parking lights" as they used to be called have to be amber. So, any of you switching to white should probably check with your local registry or inspection rules to be sure it is legal. Would you be stopped for it, probably not, but it is easier to check up front than pay the ticket (or fail to pass inspection) later.<BR>I am sure some of the older members of this forum remember the amber turn signal paint kits available in the mid-60s so you could make your car look up-to-date?

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case case someone didn't read the other post and would like to try it, here it is again. I located the paint that worked on the high temp bulb. It looks like about a 1 ounce bottle..here is a copy of the post that I left for Hitzzz. <BR>Hitzzz,<BR>I just went to my garage and found the paint that I used. It is called Pebeo PORCELAINE 150. Most all the printing on the bottle is in German, even the directions. It looks like the directions are in a couple languages but not in english. I am able to read "bake at 350F or 150C". I bought it at Michaels for $4.95. I looks like a pretty bright orange but comes out just the right color on the bulb. It looks like the color may be something call 04 Agate. I will be happy to pick one up and mail to you if you'll email me with your address. It sure worked for me.<BR>Dave<BR>------------------<BR>My Topless Reattahttp://hometown.aol.com/drbuch2000/TheReatta.html<P>IP: Logged<BR>