1932 Buick Model 60

scott12180

Hi all,

Could someone offer a few comments on the roadability and parts availability of a 1932 Buick Model 60? I know of one for sale, but am not a Buick man and have never driven one.

Are they good road cars? (compared to, say, a 1938 which I have driven.)

What is a comfortable cruising speed?

Can an overdrive be installed?

And how about parts availability? I know later Buicks have good avaiability of just about everything, but how about the earlier ones?

Thanks,

--Scott

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Scott:

You will have to be a little more specific about this car. There were about 57,000 1932 Buicks built, of which 14,239 were in the 60 series group. Of these, a little over 9000 were Model 67's, so they are pretty low production stuff. Mac Blair of the BCA is the tech advisor for them and is the most knowledgeable person I know of on 1932 Buicks. He also does some reproduction work for them. I hope this helps. Be SURE to join the BCA if you buy this car. Regards, Dave Corbin

The 1932 60 series will make a good road car if you plan on running 55-60 MPH They have mechanical brakes, so you need to be more cautious on the highway.I have friends that have installed an overdrive, and it makes the car much more road friendly.

Parts for the 60 series can be problematic, as the sources are drying up, and there is not too much in the way of aftermarket, as they are not too common.

A 32 Buick 60 series will have more than enough power and weight to be a relatively comfortable road car as long as you take your time. You will not be able to keep up with the 38 Buicks on road trips, so you might consider joining the BCA Pre-War Division for slower shorter touring events if you decide to buy the car.

The internet has provided better access to parts for these older cars. You may have to wait awhile to find something you need or just make parts. I just bought a pair of rare headlights on Ebay for my 15 Buick this week. I have been looking for the correct headlight rings for two years, but I finally got them. Many of us with older cars find it very satisfying to find or make parts to restore drive and enjoy a car that might otherwise be junked.

Mark Shaw

Scott:

What model is the 60 series you are requesting information for? These cars , when properly tuned can cruise at 55-60 miles/hour with not problem. There are problems in getting parts but it depends on the parts needed because some parts are interchangeable with series 50,80, and 90 of the same year. Also some parts from '31-'35 can be used--again depending on the parts. Just to let you know 1932 was the second year for Buick's straight 8 cyclinder engine. There aren't a lot of people fabricating parts for the early thiries Buick

Willis

• 4 years later...

I have a stock 32 buick 57-s in perfect running condition, the cruise speed is really 45 to 50 mph. It will do 65-70 but you are red lining the engine and that is not cruising. 4200 rpm is red line, 2800 is 50mph. Torque and HP cross at 2000 rpm,after that torque reduces and HP increases linearly...so you can see that a 55-60 mph is not cruising and is sucking the fuel. A footnote to this, at 40-45 I get 14 to 16 mpg, at 50 I get about 8mpg. I wish I had a overdrive.

32buickjim,

You have posted on a 4 year old thread, so I think the original poster has made his decision. However, it is interesting that you are interested in overdrive. Joe Krepps has an ad in last month's Bugle as he is trying to find the interest in high speed gears as he is planning to contract with a supplier if there is enough interest.

After instaling you may not be able to pull any tree stumps with your '32, but it will sure cruise easier. Also, I believe there is a running '32 67 in Vermont that was for sale and it has an overdrive unit.

I can get you infor on both if you are interested.

John