55 S88 Convertible

I'm looking at the possiblity of purchasing a "barn fresh" 55 S88 convertible. It is a hydromatic car, regal maroon and polar white with matching interior. If I would get this car, it would be treated to a frame-off restoration as a show car.

I've worked on Fords and Chevys from the 60s and 70s, but not on anything 50s. My general understanding is that the 50s cars were better built but what areas on this particular car should I look for? I know about the quarter panel rot but are there any parts that if missing, are absolutely impossible to locate?

Fusick has a great supply of repro parts, you will need the catalog for sure. SMS has the fabrics for the interior. There is no repro sheet metal available other than rocker panels and patch panels. Any thing convertable specific will be a [@!#!$] to get other than hydraulics and of course the top. If the batwing air cleaner is missing expect to pay through the nose but they are out there. Same with the chrome "lip" on the front of the hood. They are steel and most are rusty. The chrome grill ends are VERY hard to find, they are also thin steel chrome plated and prone to rust. Steering wheels usually are crap but are repro'd at $295.

I'm most of the way through a 55 S-88 frame off restoration now, getting ready to put the body back on the frame, if all continues to go well. It's a hard top but I've done a couple of mid 50's Buick converts to Senior Grand Nat. status. If you want you can PM me bhigdog1@ptd.net to pick my brain. BTW I'm in Eastern PA. How about you?.........Bob

I also have a 88 convertible and some parts are indeed hard to find .Rocker panel mouldings are hard to locate at any price. The seal that fits between the wind wing and body I stil need and can't locate and I don't think any one is making that part as Yet. A parts car helps a lot wished I had one.

List your need someone has been there done that.....Tedd

Moldings of various types such as rocker moldings, hood lip moldings etc. in usable or even restorable condition are sometimes next to impossible to find. Consider having new ones made. If you will provide a detailed description or photo or measured drawing of the piece I will decide if I can make it or not. A description should include length, width, thickness of the material, type of material, (stainless, pot metal, plated, anodized, painted,?) method of attachment, and contour shape. Post the info here or contact me directly. Thanks. John Worden 405 Green Mountain Road, Green Mountain Iowa 50632 Phone 641-474-2313 jbw.worden@adiis.net