!922 Buick Sport Touring

jbbuick22

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear JBBuick:

Your car is the 201st 1922 Model 55, if 856901 is the frame number. The second block of frame numbers issued for 1922 was for 800 frame numbers beginning at 858800 and ending at 857599, bringing the total for the only 2 blocks issued in 1922 for model 55's to 900. You indicated that the body number was 901, which does seem a bit strange, until you look into Buick's internal practices of inventory control, which were sloppy by today's standards. I would guess that they ruined about 1/2% of the bodies they built, but they also sent parts and bodies to GM of Canada for what were branded as McLaughlins, so these can show up in the count sequences. Usual McLaughlin production was about 3-5% of what Buick built, so I would anticipate that the last body number was really about 925-935. Terry Dunham might be able to shed some more light on this. Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dear JBBuick:

Usual McLaughlin production was about 3-5% of what Buick built, so I would anticipate that the last body number was really about 925-935. Terry Dunham might be able to shed some more light on this. Regards, Dave Corbin </div></div>

Dave,

A bit off topic for this thread, but do those numbers for McLaughlins hold true for all years of McLaughlin Buicks? If so, with a production total of 7014 29-51s (according to "Standard Catalog of Buick"), there would be about 210-350 Model 29-51 McLaughlin Buicks built...and I own one of them...cool.

I must admit to having seen higher numbers when we get into the later 30s though...perhaps they simply had a higher survival rate.

Thanks for the info Dave. I did contact Terry Dunham about 7 years ago and he indicated it was the 101st built, and did not have an answer for the 901 body#. Did MacLaughlin

offer a 55? I have attached a piece of sales lit. that I think has Dave Chambers notes on it indicating 898 units.

post-30907-143137889451_thumb.jpg

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Derek:

I'm not sure how exactly to respond to your question, but here's some info. In 1907, Buick sent McLaughlin 154 model F engines and built 4000 themselves, or about 3.5 %. Over the 50 year span from 1907-1958, Buick built about 9 million cars and sent about 200,000 engines to McLaughlin/GM of Canada for Buicks there. I hope this helps. Regards, Dave Corbin