Senior Judging

Guest 29LQ

Dear Ted,Trailer queen????How about Mr.Lloyd Pearson from Minnesota,ALWAYS drives his 1939 Lincoln Zephyr 3 window coupe to Lincoln Zephyr meets in the mid west and on the East coast.My guess is 1,000 miles or more at a time and guess what, his car is PERFECT,CORRECT and almost always scores higher than the trailer queens.YES it can be done all depends how bad you want it.diz smile.giflaugh.gif

Bferg, I don't get it either. I'm a relative newbie but from the get go I understood that the thrust of the organization was the restoraion/preservation of cars to as close to ORIGINAL as possible. You certainly may drive and enjoy your car(s) to your heart's content. And you may enter those original cars in AACA events to enjoy the association of like minded people. If you drive those cars heavily it will be harder to score high, but you will have had the pleasures of driving that someone who trailers might not. It's up to you to decide what gives you the greatest pleasure; driving, competing, or like most folks a combination of both. Mellow out and enjoy......Bob.

And I am trying to figure out the political part. confused.gif

And "the old guard" as you call them made this club what it is. An organization dedicated to the preservation of antique cars as they came from the factory. No one goes in and tries to redo the Mona Lisa or the Statue of Liberty to suit themselves. Antique cars are like works of art in that sense. Rolling art is what some refer to them as.

There are some great clubs out there that do cater to folks that don't want to keep their cars all original. The AACA is the club for folks who want to preserve, show and enjoy cars in their original/restored state.

We welcome you with open arms if you would like to give us a try.

Add me to the list of being confused. Our judging system is reviewed all the time and suggestions are brought to the committee. No old guard there or anywhere's else. Nothing to do with politics.

With a club as large as ours there are bound to be differences of opinion. However, our rules are fair and reasonable. Others have expressed eloquently what we are about and that our club offers a drving class, original class and touring. We should have something for everyone.

We just came back from a meet in Mobile which had a huge class in DPC and HPOF and even a few people that showed their original cars in class judging. They all won the award they were seeking which was great. A prominent car owner expressed to me that he loved coming to AACA meets as we were much more member friendly than other clubs he belonged to.

As a instance of change, we did start allowing electric starters on brass cars a few years ago and this year we are allowing electric fuel pumps (provided they are installed in a "workmanlike manner" on pre-WWII cars. Our judging system is constantly being reviewed.

The radial tire situation is one I have to personally disagree over, if the correct tires are available, they should be on the car. We have had the discussion ad nauseum over the ride characteristics of these two type of tires.

Giving out scores in an organization like ours with 1500 judges is a difficult concept to approve. I understand the arguments on both sides but the "con" just has too many points. We constantly train judges and provide continuous training as well. Our meet staff are always looking our for any inequity that might have happened accidently. Our VP of Class Judging is available when there are serious issues.

I really hope that you have a great experience in Waco...give us a chance. This forum allows for banter and discussion and it should be taken as such but no more.