Need to replace exhaust system

DCGRIF

I need to replace my pipes and muffler up to the Catalytic (sp?) converter. When my mechanic looked for the replacement he discovered Buick has discontinued making the exhaust system for the Reatta. Other than having a system fabricated at a muffler shop are there any other suggestions. I have been told the Riviera system might do it...although it would be shorter. Would the Riviera exhaust system work for the Reatta? I have a 91. I haven't checked to see if Buick stopped making the exhaust pipes and muffler for the Riviera. Any help would be appreciated. I know I can get one fabricated but if the Riviera system would work and if it is still available it would probably be easier. Thanks...Doug Griffith, Centerville, OH

Guest F14CRAZY

A gentleman here recently priced an entire system at Autozone. He used a Riviera pipe...only thing is that the end of it needs to be shortened but no big deal.

I am working on a exhaust system article for the newsletter. It will probably appear in the next issue.

Many big shops have the pipe bending capabilities and their machines run from programs. If the shop can run a Riviera, then it can be shortened 9.5 inches in the area under the seats (that is the difference in the Reatta and Riviera wheelbase) There are several muffler companies that make mufflers with the single in and dual out requirements for the Reatta. Since the Reatta tailpipes are stainless, in most cases they can be salvaged and used with the new muffler.

Guest Greg Ross

The distinction with the '91 Reatta, besides having the Series I 3800 engine is that it has a 2-1/2" diameter exhaust system (rest of the fleet is 2-1/4" dia.) May seem like an insignificant difference but it calculates to something like 30% difference in cross sectional area. When you attempt to source those Riviera parts be sure to specify the '91 model year. As well obviously the muffler and Cat. have to be sized to suit.