CCCA Member Charles Kerner * Alex Tremulis * Tucker Blueprint

39Graham

I recently aquired what appears to be a blueprint of the design for the 1948 Tucker signed by Alex Tremulis with a thoughtful note to Charles Kerner thanking him and the CCCA for courtesy extended to him at an event. The note is dated 1-24-75. Might any members have knowledge of Mr. Kerner or what event would have occured at that time? I would also be interested in knowing if anyone else has one of these prints. It measures 22" x 34" and appears to be on blueprint paper. I am wondering if Mr. Tremulis might have had these made exclusively for his own use as gifts. Thank You for your help.

post-45263-143137889163_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the information. I found the print in a lot of Classic car posters and calendars at an auction in Ossipee New Hampshire. There was also a lot of CCCA car medallions and many unassembled classic car plastic models. Hopefully Mr. Kerner has just been cleaning out his attic and has not passed on.

Charlie & Peggy Kerner recently sold their place on lake Winnepesaukee in New Hampshire and have moved to the Saratoga Springs New York area to be nearer to other family members. Charlie's health is fragile and he could no longer maintain the place in NH.

Alex Tremulis was a guest speaker at the 1975 CCCA Annual Meeting in Buck Hill Falls, PA, so this piece would have been in acknowledgement of that event, I'm sure.

Jon Lee

Thank you so much for this information. That accounts for the item being located nearby in Ossipee N.H. The Tucker print is wonderful and I just arranged for high quality framing so that it can hang in a prominent place in our home. It has also been a great experience (my first) with participating in a web bulletin board. Although none of my current fleet fits the criteria for membership in the CCCA I am impressed with the experience and enjoy reading the postings of others.

• 4 years later...
Guest streamliner

Better late than never: Here's the letter that went along with the blueprints. Alex did, in fact, have these made directly from his original illustration. He would give them out to those who would appreciate such a momento. There are others out there, but not a lot. Most have a personal message from Alex...

CharlesKerner.jpg

• 4 months later...
Guest streamliner

...and just to finish this off, can anyone positively identify these two gentlemen with Alex Tremulis (red coat, gold tie) taken at the 1975 CCCA Annual Meet in Buck Hill Falls?

BuckHillsAACA.jpg

Then gentelman on the left is Jim Cox, a well known restorer from PA. and husband of Bev Kimes. He is now in New Jesery if I am not mistaken.

Guest streamliner

THANK YOU!!! That makes perfect sense. Alex was a frequent contributor to Automobile Quarterly and provided numerous articles, letters and anecdotes on all sorts of automotive history, as well as designing for Packard before WWII...

Again, a big THANK YOU, edinmass!

And now for the man in the middle...

Edited by streamliner (see edit history)

Guest Rob McDonald

What a great story and what good memories you Classicists have! Of course, West wasn't born yet but he absorbed this information genetically.

I started going on CARavans in 1965 and got to know many of the original CCCA founding members quite well. I remember Charles Kerner, but I remember his daughters a little better, as they were the same age as my brother and me. They probably haven't gotten old, like me, though.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest streamliner

UPDATE

There really are some great people out there...

In an honorable act of extreme generosity, 39Graham had already donated the original blueprint to the CCCA archives!

In these tough economic times where it seems that sometimes we lose sight of ethics in search of a dollar, there still are shining examples of good people doing great things. 39Graham, I salute you!!!