Wheel Refinishing

I have a set of wheel that have some of the urethane coating peeling. I have heard in the past that there is a refinishing process.<BR>Does anyone know if this is true and is so who might do that or if that is something that one might be able to do oneself<BR>Thanks <BR>Bob

I had mine polished and they look fantastic. It's my understanding that you can get them polished or chromed, but chroming is much more expensive. It doesn't look stock, but it does look good.

I forgot to mention that I just looked under the yellow pages for wheel refinishers. I'm not sure if it's something you can do yourself unless you have a lot of experience with a rotary sander.

A company called KEYSTONE offers a wheel exchange for $149 per wheel.<P>------------------<BR>Long live the internal combustion engine!

Thanks 3rd Reatta for that response.....would you leave me your email address or if you know how to contact these people, would you please give me that info...<BR>Thank you so much<BR>Bob

<P> In the GM "U" body (minivan) FSM there is a complete step by step refinishing procedure using progressive abrasives. This produces an almost exact factory surface pattern to prepare for the urethane clearcoat. The FSM says to use a brake lathe or regular lathe. The process can be done using the front drive on the car IF the car is supported by the suspension and the wheels are not spun using the engine with the axles in the full down or extended position. This will damage either the front bearings or the CV joints.

Guest Stan Leslie

Just checked Keystone's website.They list price as $172 (I assume this includes a $50 core charge). How long ago did you get yours refinished? Did they offer discount for all four?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gary Frank:<BR><B>I had mine done by Ketstone in Linthicum, MD 1-800-390-4600. The cost was 100.00 each and the part No.18-86-01540U10. Mine are standard 1990 rims and I was pleased with the work and turn around time of 5 days including shipping<P>Gary</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>