Trunk lid will not open

I just got a problem that I have not heard discussed yet on this forum, can anyone help guide me in the right direction. The trunk lid on my "88 Reatta will not open, either with the key or with the the release switch. It just clicks but doesn't open. I have the "88 Reatta Service Manual and had a locksmith look at it, but he said that it is not a locksmith problem. He said as long as the key turns it is beyond his skills. I have been trying to find something to help me in the manual, but have only found Trunk Lid Release "Electrical Diagnosis" I am just as baffled wih this page as the locksmith was. Anyone have a suggestion for me?<BR> <BR>Joe

The electrical schematic is at 8A-134-2 in the '88 Service manual.<P>The clicking you hear might be the relay and not the solenoid. You can release it from the inside, after you crawl through the trunk access door. If the solenoid is clicking, it might be in a bind.<P>Remember the Reatta trunk lid does not pop up when released. You must lift the lid after it is unlocked. <P>------------------<BR>Barney Eaton Reatta technical advisor for BCA and keeper of the Reatta database.

Thanks Barney that is the page that I am looking at, 8A 134-2 and 8A-134-3 I will try to get someone to go through the trunk to open that lid. I'm 75 now and my old joints probably wont allow me to make that crawl.

I had this to happen with my 91 Reatta one winter night at the airport withluggage and my wife. In just monkeying around, I put the car into neutral and the lid opened. It turned out to be the safety switch in the console that prevents you from opening the trunk when the car is in gear.

My trunk lock needs replaced, how do I get it out?(The guys at the garage are going to lock me out if I keep bugging them with Reatta questions they can't answer).

It sure did affect the trunk and the tonneau cover in my 91 convertible. It got so neither would open in Park and they would both open, (not together) in neutral. When the switch was repositioned, operation returned to normal in both Park and Neutral.

I stand corrected. I was going by the shop manual, which shows no (least I didn't see it)PRNDL or shifter interrupt for the trunk release in the electrical pages, however when I got off my fat ass and went out to the car, sure enough, the trunk failed to 'click' when placed in gear.As Emily LaTilla would say, "never mind".

The thing clicks both when I turn the key outside or when I press the release inside. My son has a friend that is an electrician, but he couldn't help because he said auto electronics is out of his realm. He suggested that maybe I needed a fuse. I don't know but it would seem to me that if it is clicking that it is not dead. I don't pretend to know anything about either electronics or automotives. I've been combing the data page looking at electronics. serveral of them talk about problems due to wet wires. I do spill a great deal of coffee from time to time(I still haven't found the ideal cup holder after that whole issue on this forum) but could wet wires be a problem in this case?<BR>wouldn't a short just prevent any signal getting to tht lock on the trunk with no sound whatever? I dont know<BR>Thanks for any ideas.<BR>Joe

Joe,<P>As a electrician myself I can say most of the guys I work with have no concept of auto electrial systems. Understand there are more circuits in these cars then there are in many homes combined. Add in the hand full of computers and modules and you can have complex problems. <P>It sounds like to me yo may have more of a mechanical problem. Sence it clicks maybe a linkage came off. Or maybe the release solenoid that clicks is worn and too week to work. <P>As for spilling drinks it's bad for switches and electronic parts. It's not great for non waterproof connectors or the interior. But feel safe when you spill that the wires in your car will be fine.<P>Tom

OK, here's the deal. Have 'someone' crawl into the trunk via the pop-down panel in the cabin with a flashlight. Hopefully theres not a lot of junk in the way. The trunk release solinoid is mounted on the trunk lid at the latch. Pull the orange lever, mounted on this solonoid down, and that will release the latch manually.Good luck.<BR>If it clicks, electrically its OK, must be a mecanical hangup in the latch itself.<BR>If for some reason THIS won't release the lid, a metric wrench can be used to remove the latch itself. (from inside the trunk).

Thanks Harry,<BR>I'm going to wait until Monday when I go to the Senior Center to exercise. One of the ladies offered to crawl in there for me Friday, but I declined the offer , because I had no idea about what to tell her what to look for. I'll let you know then how it comes out.<BR>Joe.<BR>By the way if some of you are wondering why I am posting as unregistered.it is because I cant remember my old password. Peter E-mailed me with an option of cancelling my old registration and start again from scratch I think I would want to do that since everyone knows me as "HipsterJoe" and my liscence plates have been "Hipster" since I bought this car new.<BR>Joe

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe Anderson:<BR><B>I just got a problem that I have not heard discussed yet on this forum, can anyone help guide me in the right direction. The trunk lid on my "88 Reatta will not open, either with the key or with the the release switch. It just clicks but doesn't open. I have the "88 Reatta Service Manual and had a locksmith look at it, but he said that it is not a locksmith problem. He said as long as the key turns it is beyond his skills. I have been trying to find something to help me in the manual, but have only found Trunk Lid Release "Electrical Diagnosis" I am just as baffled wih this page as the locksmith was. Anyone have a suggestion for me?<BR> <BR>Joe </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> joe,<BR> Check this out when you get the trunk lid open. More the likley the problem is in the ele.switch in the trunk lid.Heres the problem on the ele switch their is a rod with a washer press onto it,when you actitave it,it will pull a fork that releases the locking mechanism,more the likley the washer has broken off the rod.So when you hit the buttons you will hear it click but not open the trunk<BR> Tony<BR>

If you can't open your trunk, you have a real problem, whether it is a Reatta problem or a Rolls problem. I, for one, am anxious to hear what the final fix is for this one.

Guest Greg Ross

Recently,(a week and a half ago) had a similar occurrance, mine happened slightly differently though. <BR>Parked the car, ('88) pressed the trunk release button and the solenoid or relay kept clicking and the trunk lid would not open.<BR>I was about an hour away from home and assumed the fault would stop as I drove-Not! Pulled over to the side of the road, assumed the switch on the console was the problem, took it apart, unplugged the harness connector from that switch-no luck. Ended up removing the fuse for that circuit group. Pulled the relay and obtained a replacement from a local dealer here ($24. Cdn.) installed it and at this point the solenoid actuates but the trunk lid still doesn't open.<BR>I'll go tunneling thru the hatch today and see what I encounter with the manual release. If you's don't hear back soon, send out a search party Ok-LOL<BR>Part II<BR>After opening the trunk lid (from inside) checked the mechanical function of the latch and it appeared fine. Disassembled it off the car, removed the Solenoid segment and found the problem!<BR>The Shaft of the solenoid that engages the latch mechanism has what I'll describe as a disc on the end of it (should have) that rides between a set of forks. The disc was broken off (metal fatigue?), what I don't understand is the failure mode, when this happened the relay was almost constantly cycling the solenoid but the latch wasn't releasing? Gremlins I Guess! Price a new one now, not a terribly complex assembly, a couple of machined parts, a small piece of stamped sheet metal , a spring and a coil winding/elec. connector.<p>[This message has been edited by GM Ross (edited 03-12-2001).]

I just got back from senior aerobics I had that nice lady crawl into my trunk to press that orange lever as suggested. Eureka! It opened. Now that I have it open as I turn the key I don't see any action, just hear the clicking, but when I press that orange lever I can see the little hook open. I see that GM Ross has discovered the source of his problem. It sounds as it is probably the same as mine. I guess I'll print this page and take it with me when I take it in for repair. Maybe I should wait until GM Ross has his completed so that I will have more info to give whoever I get to do it. If you don't mind GM.<BR>Thanks for all this help. Also I'll probably be posting again as "Hipster." Peter just sent me an E-mail with the O.K<BR>Joe

Guest Greg Ross

Wally888,<BR>You're onto something! Good quality cord, 1/2 a dozen small pullies to rig it forward say under the driver's seat, or in Hipster's case, right up beside the CRT next to his new coffee holder-LOL

Thanks Wally888<BR>I was wondering how I was going to keep from locking my trunk until I found out GM's final solution. I only go to excercise on Monday Wed and Fri, so I couldn't get it opened again til wednesday if I locked it now. You may have been kidding but I'm going to give it a try. Let you know how it works-If it works. It will be a while before I get my coffe cup holder beside my CRT anyway :-)<BR>Joe

Guest wally888

Couldn't resist looking at my latch. Observations:<BR>1 When the latch is open, you can see a spring. This spring must? force the latch open when the solenoid activates release or pull the manual release. ( may also hold latch in closed position)<BR>2 Using the shaft of a screwdiver I forced the latch closed, several times, and then used the orange , manual release to open it.<BR>The orange, manual release requires only about an inch pound pressure to release the latch, (just a touch) and the latch snaps open w/ force.<BR> Do you have significant different results, binding or broken spring?<BR> Could put a cord on the orange , manual release and let it hang out of the trunk!

Thanks for reminding me about my trunk lock. I haven't been able to get in my trunk since October. My 90 convertible is in storage so when the weather breaks, I am hoping that it just decides to go back working. No click or anything. I will try the neutral position and get back. Whatever the problem is, I have lost confidence in it so I will NEVER lock it again. Is there any manual way you can get in, similar to the gas flap?

Joe - I beleive the latch may be stuck- once you get your trunk open (with the orange leaver suggested below) near that leaver is the actual latch. Try moving that with your fingers -you just may be able to release it and have it become functional again. The electronics obviously are at work or you would not hear the clicking thump associated with locking and unlocking.<P>I had the luck to fix mine in that manner so hope you do too. ( I also lubricated both trunk lid portion and bottom potion).

Joe - I beleive the latch may be stuck- once you get your trunk open (with the orange leaver suggested below) near that leaver is the actual latch. Try moving that with your fingers -you just may be able to release it and have it become functional again. The electronics obviously are at work or you would not hear the clicking thump associated with locking and unlocking.<P>I had the luck to fix mine in that manner so hope you do too. ( I also lubricated both trunk lid portion and bottom potion).

Wow! Thank you ladyReatta. I now for the first time see how it works. I pushed that latch together and locked it as if it were closed. I tried unlocking it with my key(while the lid was open and I could see the latch working)I hear the clicking and can see the orange lever jumping, but not far enough down to release the latch. I am going to delay making an appointment, and toy with it for another day or two. I'll lubricate it as you suggested, and periodically move it back and forth. Thanks again. <BR>Joe

Guest wally888

Joe,<BR> Sounds like the spring is broken! Review my previous post, above, especially the word FORCE.<BR> When you pull the orange lever down, the lock shoud snap open, hard, loud sound.<BR>And, it requires a lot of force to push it back into the lock position.

Wally888 <BR>Maybe I didn't make myself clear I did exactly what you did, this time. While I had it open so that I could look at it, I did repeatedly close it as you did with your screwdriver, and tried to open it both with my key and with the orange lever. when I use the orange lever it does open with force-but after I close it and try to open it with the key it seems to try, it clicks and the orange lever moves but not enough to open it. I realy never got a good look at it before until I tried to followed the instruction by Ladyreatta and pulled that latch open. at that point I could see what is suppose to happen. <BR>By the way, what function does that big black spring next to the latch have? It doesn't seem to do anything? <BR>Joe

Guest Greg Ross

Joe,<BR>As I recall the only spring you can see externally has it's tang there to slightly lift the lid off the latch bar, (the part the latch latches to)<BR>It sounds to me as though you've got the same condition as we talked about, the Solenoid. It's not a complicated disassembly if you've got the assistance of anyone handy with a metric Socket set. Simply remove the two Hex head Screws towards the rear of the car, remove the two between the latch assembly and the Solenoid body and then watch for a wee silver disc to fall out when you separate the two pieces.<BR>If I'm right it's the actuator piece on the end of the Solenoid shaft that's failed you.<BR>There is one little trick here, the position of the Latch assembly on the trunk lid is adjustible, before you remove any fasteners put several pieces of masking tape on the trunk lid right against the edge of the latch assembly for alignment of the latch when you put it back together.<BR>Greg

Maybe the diagnosis to my lock problem has finally been completed. In the last post by GM Ross as he described the disassembly method for the latch and the solenoid body he warned to watch for a "wee silver disk " that should fall out when I separate the latch and the solenoid body. I remembered that the other day when I was trying to do the things that Ladyreatta and Wally 888 suggested, I found a little silver disk on the floor of the trunk. I didn't know what it was but It seemed out of place so I put it in an envelope and kept it. I sent him a E-mail ater his last post describing this disk to him. "One half inch in diameter smooth on one side and a small rise on the other side." He E-mailed me back to affirm that it is the activator off the solenoid shaft, that had already fallen out. It seems that I have the same problem with my lock that he has. I want to thank everyone that contributed to the solution of this mystery. Thanks again GM! It is amazing how you all can do things like that with uninformed people like me on this forum.<BR>Joe