IMPORTANT NOTICE TO EDITORS

I have had a couple of requests to send a Region newsletter to the Publications Committee via email (some say electrically). This is absolutely unacceptable for the Newsletter Contest. Each member of the Committee receives up to 155 newsletters each month of the year. Downloading and printing newsletters that are sent electrically would be very cost prohibitive (think of the cost of ink for example) and very time consuming, to say the least. If we accept one newsletter this way, we are open to having to accept all newsletters this way and as I said above, that is unacceptable. Electrically sent newsletters will not be downloaded or graded. There can be no exceptions.

Earl D. Beauchamp, Jr., Vice President - Publications

• Like 1

• 12 years later...

I did not agree with the decision either. I will say that the newsletter review crew does not get that many monthly issues though, only about 30 to 40 during my time handling it. I even had one team member say they had to put up 2 pc screens to be able to review online newsletters and post results at the same time. I just hope this decision does not turn away prospective team members.

52 minutes ago, R W Burgess said:

I did not agree with the decision either. I will say that the newsletter review crew does not get that many monthly issues though, only about 30 to 40 during my time handling it. I even had one team member say they had to put up 2 pc screens to be able to review online newsletters and post results at the same time. I just hope this decision does not turn away prospective team members.

Neither did I, Wayne.  I was on the review team around 2008 if I recall.  If this email idea was the new norm at the time I would have quit and that is something I have never done in all the AACA assignments on my plate.  It was so easy and convenient to read the hard copy and have the score sheet downloaded on the computer in front of me.  Frequently I had to page back and re-read a certain subject just to be sure I was fairly scoring a topic.  It was nothing to receive 10-12 newsletters weekly in the area I was assigned.

Regards,

Peter J.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, R W Burgess said:

I just hope this decision does not turn away prospective team members.

A busy workload in other endeavors was why I left the

newsletter reviews;  but without question, the new screen-review

process has kept me away.  I would always put the

paper copies in front of me, and check off various

items of content directly on the newsletters as I reviewed them.

And I'd keep the paper copies for the entire year, until the

contest ended.

I agree with Peter above, that a reviewer often has to

flip pages back and forth.  That's easily done with paper,

but harder to keep track of if looking at a computer screen.

I enjoyed seeing the good work of other editors.

I hope the committee succeeds with the new screen-review method,

for those who like it--but I'm not fond of staring at a screen for hours!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

It seems to me that all of you are knowledgeable enough to contact the appropriate board member with your concerns!!  The flip side of the coin is that many regions are going to digital only and therein lies the problem.  Write Mary or the President! 

While Mary Bartemeyer was the VP of Publications last year, I think you meant Dave. Dave Anspach is the VP of Publications this year.

5 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

The flip side of the coin is that many regions are going to digital only and therein lies the problem.  

I heard of a case of an older couple, long-time AACA members.

Their region's newsletter had gone to digital format only,

and these members, unable to get a newsletter, felt totally

out of touch with the club.  They were sad that, after all those

years, they probably weren't going to renew their membership.

I had never heard of digital newsletters ONLY.  In view of the

above account--and other members without internet and e-mail--

it doesn't sound like a good idea.

Matt, thanks for the correction.  John, many of us (me included) like having a magazine in our hands but this is 2018 and the move is definitely to digital in many areas.  There will people who say if I cannot get a hard copy I am done and there are people that say if I can't get a digital copy I am done.  Fact of life, you cannot please everyone.

It is just not economical for some regions to print newsletter anymore.  We are fortunate in the East to have many large regions that can afford to produce a quality publication.  Just not so for everyone. 

To all who submitted:

I inherited the newsletter review system we have and really find it a fine way to do things.  The electronic submission was done, I understand, to try to keep costs down for smaller regions.  As has been stated,  many regions have gone over to electronic newsletters exclusively.  Many do paper only, and a large amount do both.   Every region is given the choice if they want to submit a paper copy or an electronic one for review.  Currently around 70 newsletters have been entered for the Newsletter Awards Program. A lot of regions and editors choose not to submit for judging, just like many of our car owners choose not to be judged.  To review them we have 15 reviewers that are a hard working and dedicated group. I am thankful for every one of them.   Roughly 3/4 of the newsletters submit electronically and the balance are paper only.  Some reviewers only want to do electronic newsletters, and some want to do paper only (so John S we would welcome you if you have the time and you could do hard copy only). It is interesting and very satisfying to me that with the newsletter scoring system we have, if you look at the scoring done by different reviewers ....just like scoring of judging of cars, they come within a few points.  Personally when I score a newsletter whether electronic or printed I use a hard copy score sheet.  Just makes it easier for me.  I welcome anyone with editing experience to get involved in the newsletter program, either as an editor or as an evaluator.  If you have questions or suggestions, feel free to contact me at Tmkldwwj@yahoo.com

Dave Anspach VP Publications

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DAVE A said:

As has been stated,  many regions have gone over to electronic newsletters exclusively. 

So what I heard was accurate.  Some regions

completely cut off members who don't have e-mail!

Such an idea makes the work of the VP of membership

just a little bit harder---

3 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

So what I heard was accurate.  Some regions

completely cut off members who don't have e-mai

John,  you are getting off topic.  Earl Beachamp's comments were directed at the newsletter judging team and the ease back in the 2006 era to judge numerous newsletters.  His comments were not directed at general membership of Regions and Chapters receiving their newsletter electronically or hard copy.  I also stated that I found it to be more convenient when I judged newsletters but that is just my preference.  As Steve mentioned this mindset has changed and yes it is 2018 so I would not be doing it.  Again, that is just me.

Whenever you use state "...what I heard" I take that to be hearsay at best.  Who are "they".  It makes it sound rampant throughout and it really is not.  As for saying we are losing members by eliminating hard copy I do not buy it.  I cannot imagine a Region or Chapter throwing out those members who do not have access to email by denying them a hard copy (i.e..."George.  You have been a member for 35 years and there is the door.  We are not going to print a hard copy for you just because you are too old for computers.")

When I was the Chair of Development & Support Eastern Region I  visited very small and rather large Regions and not once could detect such strictness as you are alluding.  Yes, there may have been isolated cases however I cannot picture it to be rampant.  When you hear of scenarios as you state please contact the AACA Membership VP, D&S Chair, the AACA President, etc., so it can be addressed.

Regards,

Peter J.

I am not quite sure why we are debating the issue after bumping up a 12 year old post. A lot has changed in the past 12 years. The NAAP has been changed to allow either mailed printed newsletters or uploaded electronic newsletter files to be evaluated. I personally evaluate only printed and mailed newsletters. I prefer to hold a printed newsletter in my hand and evaluate it with pen and paper and then transfer my scores to the evaluation file on my computer. There are two different parallel procedures for evalation now. That is different from what it was back then. 

I can easily read them online, but find it much easier for me to evaluate them in a printed format. I personally love receiving my local chapter newsletter by email and reading it on the computer. I then save it in case I ever want to review it again. I don't keep the paper copies of my region newsletter. When I am finished with them, they are passed along to potential members, just like my printed Antique Automobile magazines.

9 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

I am not quite sure why we are debating the issue after bumping up a 12 year old post. 

Agree, Matt.  As is the norm such resurrecting of old threads will eventually die off.  I just take issue when someone reads too much into a subject and makes it sound like a crisis.

Peter J.

We are discussing it because it is still relevant.

It affects those who review newsletters--as mentioned

in 2006 and unchanged from 2006;  potentially the staffing of

the Publications Committee;  and yes, indeed, the

retention of members.

Peter, please discuss ideas.  I won't stand for

your constant criticism of me.  I thought all AACA

members were friendly, and I'm sure you can be too.

John,

You and I may agree more than you realize on evaluation technique, but you have bumped a 12 year old announcement that is no longer accurate from a previous VP of Publications with a now misleading title of "Important Notice to Editors".

If you want to discuss the NAAP, please take Dave up on his offer and send him an email.

If you want to debate how regions operate, you should take that up with the leadership of that region. Debating some vague premise of "Some regions completely cut off members who don't have e-mail!" here does not really help solve anything. In general, Regions and Chapters have the opportunity to run their organization as they deem appropriate and how their members want their organizations to be run. Not all Regions and Chapters are identical.  

I think that any region's cutting off members

who don't have e-mail is extremely important to

the national club.  If that is going on, and evidently it is,

it is not benefiting the organization.   If a member feels

uninvolved in the region because of that practice, he's

less likely to retain his national membership as well.

Discussion solves things only when words are turned

into action.  Now, directors, that a potential problem is

identified, investigate and verify its extent;  come up with

some good policies and promulgate them.  

When I became editor, I took one of Earl Beauchamp's

"Rummage Box" editorials to heart:  The newsletter is a

vital function of a region, because it is the glue that holds

the members together.  It is each person's contact with

the club, especially for those who don't get out to activities.

Any editor with a heart, based on that important mandate,

will want to serve ALL members and try his best to

give them an excellent product.

3 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Discussion solves things only when words are turned

into action.  Now, directors, that a potential problem is

identified, investigate and verify its extent;  come up with

some good policies and promulgate them.  

There you go, John.  I agree with that.  As Matt and I suggested contact the applicable Director and Officer.  Reminder:  addressing Directors in general on this open Forum will not go anywhere.  Contact them individually via email or letter for "action".  The Directors are very busy and really do not monitor this site looking for issues.  

Another thought.  Why don't you sort of spot check other Regions or Chapters to see what there policies are concerning losing members due to emailed newsletters.  Ask if they lost any members who do not utilize computers.

Regards,

Peter J.

I am pleased to see that something positive resulted out of this conversation.  John cares which is great and has long put out a fantastic newsletter so he is invested big time in that arena.  However, one size does not fit all and no matter what national thinks we cannot dictate to regions in all cases.  Region members had to vote on electronic or paper and there is the crux of the entire issue.  It is the region member's decision and the members money. The national board had to accept that in some cases this was the only way for the region to have a newsletter.  As I said, we have gone from mimeograph paper to computers.  Times change.

I can't believe my posts seem to live on forever.  I'd have never seen this thread if Wayne Burgess hadn't called me this morning.  I do know two things though.  I judged newsletters off and on for 16 years, and had it been necessary to judge email newsletters without printing them first, I'd have never done the first one. That said, this is, sadly, the way the world is marching away from many in my generation.  Today, I can't even make a deposit or withdrawal at the bank with a paper form.  They have, highhandedly, taken the forms out of the lobby.  She said today when I wanted to withdraw $20, "oh, people today do that paperless."  I asked, "what is paperless?"  She couldn't tell me.  And so there you go.  I turned in a new Buick LaCross two weeks ago on a new Chrysler 300 because the Buick was like driving a smartphone.....and, I still have a flip phone and plan to keep it. "Drive on Boys", as my Daddy used to say when he didn't like something and wouldn't buy it.  The worst thing about it as the banks have all colluded together (isn't that a cute new word) to make us do what they want us to do, and it's tough to quit all the banks.  It rains in this awful part of Florida every afternoon too, and I can't ever take my old cars out for enjoyment, but I can't do anything about that either.  I'm too old to move back to my beloved Virginia.  It's part of the price I'm paying for wanting to be rid of an even occasional snow.  You live with your mistakes and the new rules put on you by the younger generation.  I was one of them once too you know.  So, just enjoy the brave new world if you can or be miserable....and I know that feeling too.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Never feel defensive for not accepting someone

else's idea of "change!"  Every change must be 

assessed for whether it's a true advancement or 

simply change for the sake of change.

Oh!  Someone doesn't like the 2018 Hyundai as well

as the 2015 Hyundai?  What is he?  Old and rigid?

Well, maybe he's 30 years old!

Human whims and tastes constantly change.

Higher ideals--manifestations of bedrock Principle--never change.

• 3 years later...

This is Past President Earl Beauchamp writing.  People bringing up my 16 year old post, Wow!  Some things live on forever.  Today I couldn't get my Verizon bill on line because I goofed up my password a couple of times, nothing changes.  I print the "Speedster" at my expense because it is difficult for me to read it on line........simply my problem.   The people next door have all sorts of problems because they refuse to get a computer.  I wonder how many more older people are like them?  I hate all of the new cars full of electronic gadgets I don't need or want, but they are there, along with their hard seats built for younger people.  I did progress to a "smart phone" but I still can't do more with it than I did will the flip top, except read a few text messages.  It's hard as hell for me to type a text message....fat fingers I guess.  I do read a few emails, but more often I get up and read them on the computer and use the phone just to know they are there.  Apps, too complicated for me at 83 and I don't need any of them yet.  After all there is nothing on TV now except the same news 5-6 times a day.  Everything keeps moving away from you as you get older, so you just have to keep running after thiings as long as you can.  So far I'm only about ten steps behind.   But I am down to just one of my beloved '39 Buicks and two modern Buicks.  In Florida, old people need A/C.  Sold my old trailer last week and plan to use the money to transport my '39 to what will probably be our last Sentimental Tour (up in Gettysburg, PA).  Been culling out multiple extra '39 Buick parts and after this coming Hershey flea market we plan to sell the 2007 Suburban too.  At least "I ain't dead yet" as that old saying goes. 😁

Earl Beauchamp

"

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Dynaflash8 said:
25 minutes ago, JFranklin said:

Hi Earl, I am kind of like you. I use a computer but have yet declined to get a cell phone. I live a happy uncluttered life.

Mr. Franklin: How do you even deal with doctors?  They won't call you, only text.  I hate  text, coming or going.

5 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

I did progress to a "smart phone" but I still can't do more with it than I did will the flip top, except read a few text messages.  

Earl Beauchamp

"

Every change creates more problems for even me Earl. I lost my password for this site, have been posting as Bid Time trucker, or something for 2 months now. Thank the Lord PeterG got me back on today. Of course I'll have to work 5 more years to pay off his reinstatement charges! Gee!!!

I find it interesting that this topic was brought up again myself. Like Earl and myself, old folks have trouble keeping up with it. Judy Edwards passed away a couple years ago, and I lost a very close friend and my go-to girl for tech stuff. Sad, as you get older you forget stuff. I even write it down on pieces of paper, then lose the papers. Can't win for losing. :-)

Wayne: Gonna be up there in God's Country part of two days end of May.  We're driving up to Tappahannock the third day, then to Baltimore to see my daughter, go down to Arlington with her to see our new grave stone (planning ahead you know), put flowers on mine and Judy's (Fairfax) graves, and then the next day back to Tappahannock to get ready to blast off back to Florida.  Not staying on the Neck long this time.  Might visit Jimmy  & Joyce Davis one of the evenings since they're the only Neckers who come down to see us anymore.  Sold my trailer and  using the money to pay for having the '39 transported to the Sentimental Tour in Gettysburg and back to Florida after the tour.  Probably our last Sentimental Tour unless I ride with somebody else in two more  years.

Earl

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...