1965 Ford 352 engine color

Guest BruceW

I'm looking for the correct color for the 352 cid engine in the 1965 Ford Galaxie.

Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Guest BruceW

Rick,

Thanks for the information. The Galaxie is my mom and dad's 65 500XL convertible. Attached is a photo, albeit not a very good one, of their Galaxie. The engine color combination you stated sounds plausible because the air cleaner, which I don't think has been repainted, is in fact gold. However, when the engine was rebuilt by its previous owner, the block was painted in what I would call a turquoise color crazy.gif

The valve covers on the car are chrome. Someone has told dad that they were a Ford option. If I remember correctly, I think I did see a 1965 Ford full size accessory brochure that showed the same valve covers available as an accessory. I'm hoping to track down a copy of the accessory brochure to be sure.

Thanks.

post-30691-143137888367_thumb.jpg

Bruce,

The chrome valve covers are correct. Least I know they were on the earlier 352's. They just refered to them as the dress up option. I once had a '68 Torino GT 390 Hi-Po that had that option. Black is still the correct color you want for the engine block and heads. Air cleaner remains gold. I can fix you up with a match on that if you need it.

Good looking convertible your parents have. Be easy on them with your billings now. grin.gif

Rick

• 5 years later...

Wow....this post was made over 10 yrs ago, and I just now registered. I hope you got the color settled. My two cents worth. I had 3 1965 Galaxie 500 and one being an LTD version. I forgot the engine color on the LTD, but I remember the other one with the factory 352 had the gold valve covers and air cleaner. The 1965 with factory 289 V8 had blue valve covers.

I also wound up switching the 289 and installing a 390 V8 (which is very close to the 352 even in external parts), and also learned when I later tore one down to rebuild the blocks both have 352 on them. The 352 and 390 had only slightly different bore and stroke specs, both being big blocks.

I also noticed some 1965 truck engines with 352 and the gold color on engine, so gold in 1965 must have been associated with the 352 V8.