How to install 62 Electra Vent Window Rubber?

Smartin

Guest COMPACTBC

I assume you are talking about the front door vent windows. If they are anything like the '62 Skylark it's a PITA! tongue.gif If you take out the big rivet, I don't know how you would ever replace it. So what I did was take a razor blade and on the INSIDE lip by the bottom axle, I cut the rubber so I could get it around the bottom axle. shocked.gif I did not see any other solution, and I did not want to take out the big stainless rivet. tongue.gif

It's probably worth taking the door apart, taking it out and replacing the whole thing. Remember it does rain in St. Louis and nothing leaks worse than a vent wing. If you've got a shop manual, look through it or find a friendly glass shop that will allow you to bring in the whole A frame assembly, take it apart for you, and then assemble it when you replace the rubber. Once it's out of the door, it's not usually too hard to do.

I replace mine the same way that Bruce does his--cut the darned thing with a knife, so you don't have to take out the rivet that the vent window pivots on. Seems to me that there are some attaching screws for the vent window weatherstrip, which hide underneath the fuzzy window channel for the big window, so you have to remove the big window's window channel in the vent division bar. And that is why you have to take the door apart and remove the whole vent window assembly. I always replace both window channel weatherstrips for the big window, when I am in there for the vent window, because you don't want to have to take it all out again for at least the next 30 years!

Pete Phillips

I got it taken care-of tonight....it wasn't as bad as I thought. I was even able to replace the vertical piece against the window rail. I didn't realize the new rubber just slipped into the channel like that until I started looking closely at the new pieces. I was able to just pry out the old stuff and push in the new with a small flat screwdriver. I FINALLY have all the rubber replaced on that car....wow!

This stuff is supposed to just "bolt on," but there is so much custom work you have to do to make all the rubber fit just right. Otherwise, you end up with gaps and overlap everywhere. Of course, you have to know where to run a bead of sealant, too. Water finds some interesting ways to get into a car.