Franklin parts car - anyone want it?

Pontiac59

I was in a junkyard that is being scrapped and among the truly amazing finds was about 1/3 of a Franklin. I am not familiar with these by model year but the general look of it was 1925-1932 era. I'm planning to go get photos around March 1st. Here is what's left -

Looks to have been maybe made into a doodlebug. There's a grille, hood and cowl with dash and steering. There is front suspension, motor and transmission. The motor's been exposed and the intake is damaged from water freezing in it. The motor has individual cylinder liners visible, I believe it had 6 cylinders. There was a decent steering wheel on it, the dash had some gauges in it, and it may have had fenders. It may have been flooded at least once, and this is New York State we're talking so expect rough.

I think there could be $1000 in parts on it, but I am guessing - I know what say a Model A Ford hood, grille and cowl would bring, which is a lot more common - but a lot more guys want that stuff.

My interest is if I can turn this fast and make some cash on it I will go back and use the profit to buy other cars before they get pressed. I found a '42 Hudson coupe up there and that I want to nab if I can.

So is anyone interested in it?

PM me, or I will post a photo when I get them and go from there.

Thanks -

Here's one of the photos. Can't see much in the snow.

Chassis number is 3719727FL2 with possibly one more digit obscured in the photo I took. My guess is circa 28-31. It does have a front axle and hubs but no wheels. Frame appears to be steel - not very clear how much of the frame is here.

364903-yardkfranklin2.JPG

post-33129-143137887821_thumb.jpg

For a classic Franklin to be only good for parts, it has to be about as rough as they could possibly come. I was in error, there's no hood I can see unless it's laying under snow, but there is a motor and trans, grille, fender supports, cowl, dash, column, steering box, axle, hubs and springs. Not sure how much frame it has but I see some rot in the top of it. Has that serial number tag on it, too, but I can see me keeping that for myself, I've been collecting serial tags.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It turns out the rear of the frame and rearend is there, cut off, upside down and ahead of the front section. There is even a hubcap on the wheel closest to the trail.

Plan is to haul it out and sell it, complete. I think a guy who wanted one could probably piece it together, if you can find a body.

Question: This car has posts and a top for the windshield still on it - did this type of roadster not have a folding windshield?

I attached a photo of it without the snow, taken a couple weeks ago.

Old Cars Price Guide says around $2200 for a 1930 roadster parts car, need to do some checking, but I also need a real buyer if I'm going to haul it out, there's a lot more cars we need to get to and time is running out.

384084-29franklin3.JPG

post-33129-143137887825_thumb.jpg

Guest mikewest729

RATHER THAN MOVE IT,I WOULD THINK IT WOULD BE EASIER TO DIG A HOLE WITH A BACKHOE AND BURY IT.IT WOULD BE THE KIND AND GENTLE THING TO DO.....

Thank you from the peanut gallery, yes, lets leave it to rot and be lost permanently. Except that if I don't take it out of here it will get recycled into new Hyundais. Looks like a friend of mine might bolt the frame back together and see what we have. Rearend is apparently aluminum, he says, he was up looking at it today.

Well, my friend got this today and took it home. It turned out a lot more of the car was there, buried in the mud, including doors and the rear body section which is made of aluminum. But he thinks it was a coupe, not a roadster, it would be nice to have some input on that. I will have photos Wedneday or Thursday. It may well be savable if you have the nerve to take on something of this magnatude.

• 8 months later...

Chassis number says it's a Franklin 1929 Series 137 ( long model with 132 inch wheel base). The "L2" at the end says it's a left hand drive "Sport Runabout", what most know as Roadster. Rather rare body style.

Good luck to your friend.

P.Fitz.