1930 Buick roadster

West Peterson

A gentleman wrote me a letter (to Antique Automobile) and told of someone telling him that his Model 44 roadster had seven seperate keys, evidentally back when the car was new or near new.

1. Ignition

2. storage compartment behind seat.

3. storage "tool" pouch inside door

4. golf bag door

5. rumble seat lid

6. left sidemount

7. right sidemount

Does this sound normal? It would seem to me that the sidemount keys should be the same, and the rumble seat lid, golf bag door and storage compartment should be the same. This would reduce the number of keys to 4, and if the side pouch shared the same key as the side mounts, that would be three (I don't know what kind of lock the side pouch would take, and I'm assuming the sidemount locks held the mirrors on rather than the sidemounts to the car. Correct me if I'm assuming too much.

Thanks for your help.

Guest De Soto Frank

I would hazard a guess that if any of those locks were after-market accessories, then there could have been seven keys to the car. confused.gif

I would think that if the car came new from the Buick agency with all of those toys, then they would have keyed some of those locks alike, for convenience sake... or arranged for a local locksmith to do so...

I thought my '48 New Yorker had too many keys:

Ignition/Door

Luggage locker (trunk)

Glovebox

crazy.gif

( All were factory aluminum "DPCD" keys)

Guest De Soto Frank

Yep !

My '61 Willys Pick-up had just one locking door handle (on the passenger side!) when I bought it, and the original ignition switch had been replaced by an aftermarket.

Happily, I found the original ignition switch in the glovebox, and it still worked !

I gleaned a second locking door handle from a junkyard hulk, had it keyed to match the other locks, and was all set !

How about the very early days of motoring when there were not even locks on the ignition switch ?

Or the 1950's GM cars and trucks with the "tail" or nubs on the igniution switch that allowed an on/off function without the key ?

(My '50 Chevy Fleetline, and Mom's '61 Buick come to mind...)

cool.gif