F14CRAZY

Supercharging (this time, it's real)

Not done inside yet. I've got everything to do it though. Kind of focusing on getting the car running and running good, and having the engine not in pieces grin.gif

"And here's a shot of my rigged up power steering line"

Looks like it helps to be in the plumbing business..... Seriously, looks like your project is coming along very well. Good luck on gps job too. grin.gif

Yesterday, I went ahead and gave Ryan the go to burn the memcal program. We're going without EGR, at least for the time being, because of the different valve setups (including Padgett syaing that one's digital and one's analog).

Today I hope to get the coolant lines all set and work on the power steering. I'm thinking to make some modifcations to the coolant tank so the p/s fluid resevoir can be attached to it.

Day 7 folks. But oh my, look what F14's...

sc33.jpg

A lot of other little things to do, but it's coming along quite well.

If you haven't seen me, this is me. Looks bad I know. Taken in the dark with one hand on the camera. Nevertheless, it's a proud Reatta owner

sc34.jpg

Will we be using the photo on the "Wanted Poster" grin.gifcool.gifshocked.gif when you are wanted for speeding? laugh.gifshocked.giflaugh.gifsmirk.gif

EDBSO did I make this many postings when I Supercharged my Reatta?

I remember posting emissions testing results and 1/4 mile times.

Series I out of a Park Ave Ultra. Rebuilt Reatta trans, extented wires under hood, used Reatta computer. I put in a mechanical boost gauge, could not reprogram CRT for boost reading.

Day 8's progress (will post pix tomorrow)...

-got throttle body mounted. Attached harness connectors. Had to extend IAC harness about a foot due to the different location

-got s/c, water pump, air con belt on. Had to add a couple washers to one of the tensioner pulleys. It was out of alignment with the rest of the idlers (the others are ok)

-attached throttle linkages. When I get the memcal back I'll power up the system and make sure the TPS is within range

-finished coolant lines. Stock Reatta radiator hose worked fine by cutting like 1.5'' off each end.

-mounted alternator. I have to extend the power wire to it, will pick one up soon

Concerns: the stock air box sucks, so I'll get an APC cone filter or something. Been exchanging messages with 2seater on how to run the PCV system. Still have to mount power steering resevoir, but for now I'll use big azz zip ties and strap it to the coolant tank. The fluid resevoir is a really dumb shape and a PITA

Noticed the L67 MAF is the same model number as the stock Reatta's, so that's a good sign. IAC, TPS, MAF, and coolant sensor all plugged in without problems except for the short IAC harness.

For the PCV, I think I'm going to attach the line from the front valve cover to the intake somewhere so it pulls in filtered air, then the rear valve cover line will be attached to the unused brake booster line on my throttle body, with a PCV valve between the valve cover and the vacuum "tree"

I'm on top of this grin.gif . Gimme a week...

Can you arrange some kind of a "real time" feed so we can all be witnesses to the initial firing up of your R14 monster? cool.gifcool.gifcool.gifshocked.gif

(R14 Crazy, your new moniker)

"Can you arrange some kind of a "real time" feed so we can all be witnesses to the initial firing up of your R14 monster?"

At least, send me a video tape of the big event & I will burn DVD's for interested parties.

Looks like you're well in command of the situation; good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> .... love that pipe wrench (or monkey wrench?) holding the hood up! </div></div>

In Great Britian, in the Kings English , it is commonly referred to as a "Mole"

Photo for day 8...

sc35.jpg

Today: bought a PCV valve (for the SSEi) and some flexible conduit for my harnesses

My camera is a 4 megapixel Canon Powershot A80. It's pretty nice. Most of the photos I've taken for this post are in the smallest and least quality setting ("normal" and 640x480) so the shots are like 80 kB.

Hmmm, it uses the same model MAF? In theory the MAF should max out somewhere around 220-225 hp., maybe a little less. I do know the MAF will generate higher frequencies than the stock ECM can read (I have tested it on the flow bench), so the ECM for that engine may have a larger range than ours? I have also found that the one sensor I have from a 3300 engine will read lower frequency at the same air flow by 15%-17%. In other words it can read higher air flows and still stay within the read range of the ECM. I have two 3800 sensors and they show a maximum variation of 5%. I will be very interested to see what sort of signal you get from the MAF when you get it running. Have you figured out how to operate the boost control?

Well, the numbers are the same, but I guess the revision number is different (the few numbers after the hyphen are one digit higher on the L67 MAF than the LN3 MAF). I'll report back with the exact part number tomorrow. Haven't figured out boost control yet...but in a message with Greg Ross, he said to stick with the vacuum gate for now. He added that Padgett attempted to program one in but it didn't work well to some extent.

No cool pix for day 9, cuz I kinda forgot to bring my camera out with me tongue.gif But, with yet another trip to Advance auto parts I ordered the belt that drives the alternator and p/s pump and picked up a 3'' APC cone filter. It's red grin.gif. I also got a a mini filter for my PCV line, but ended up not using it...

I removed the stock air box, and my done filter will be attached to the throttle body by a 3'' Fernco coupler. Though probably not a perfect spot for "cold air" induction, it's still gonna be much better than the stock box. In the fernco I drilled a couple holes and inserted a small piece of vacuum tube and the intake air temp sensor (and RTVed around them). I'm going to pick up a 90 degree fitting for the run from the air cleaner to the front valve cover for PCV, and some more hose for that too.

And oh yeah...I'm not trying to advertise for Advance or anything, but I got there a lot because they're pretty decent to deal with. We have a commercial account with them and I haven't figured it out yet but we get automatic discounts on some things (like the belt I ordered tonight got $5 off). And if the manager is there he'll normally discount me on some stuff. And they do things like we can dump 50 gallons of used oil cuz that's when we buy a few month's supply (with the plumbing vans, my vehicles, and my mom's Durango we do a lot of miles).

Day 10 folks. Photos will follow later this evening.

I got a few things done...picked up the other serpentine belt and got that installed without issues. I've got the new air cleaner fitted along with the PCV system. It's complicated, but I think you guys will approve, and it should work perfectly fine.

The new air filter should be much better than the stock box, and hey, it's red and matching grin.gif. That's like 20 hp right there. Not trying for the ricer look, but it's a lot cheaper than a K&N, which i think are overrated

Greg's car was reprogrammed for the Getrag which meant there was no TCC. I tried to use that line for boost control but never got it debugged.

Thank you for the explaination Padgett. I didnt mean to talk you down or anything...but this forced induction business can get too complicated for me

Day 11. Not much more to do. I do have a couple questions though...

sc36.jpg

In the middle of this pic, it looks like a vacuum line is missing and I can't figure out what to connect it to...suggestions?

sc37.jpg

And there's this one too. Do they need to be connected together by chance?

sc38.jpg

And my fancy red air filter

Is the wastegate solenoid thing the black plastic device that has a vacuum line running to it, that sits behind the supercharger housing? As this is not really used, do I leave it there or remove it?

I've got all the other vacuum lines figured out. The only major thing I have to do is hookup the power steering lines. The stock Reatta resevoir is an odd design and is hard to use as a remote unit, but I'm going to let it go until I think up something better. Some other little things to do, like put conduit over some harnesses, but no more major stuff. I plugged and capped the EGR outlet and the inlet on the supercharger housing.

Thanks for all the help. Ryan said he should be able to ship out my Memcal on monday, so initial startup should be pretty darn soon cool.gif