F14CRAZY

Supercharging (this time, it's real)

The gasket between the throttle body and S/C seems to be fine. I used a new one (and I can say that I'm pretty darn sure it was the right one).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The gasket between the throttle body and S/C seems to be fine. I used a new one (and I can say that I'm pretty darn sure it was the right one). </div></div>

This does NOT look good to me:

sc41.jpg

As the fellow earlier said, if coolant made it past the gasket it would immediately get sucked right into the engine. I would obtain the correct fitting gasket before proceeding.

-ryan

Yes sir. I'm gonna obtain one from a local GM dealer, cuz this just isn't right.

I feel bad for letting this happen and getting coolant in the motor, but oh well, I'm still learning all this junk.

As I said, I'm going to give up on getting the right one from advance and just go to Story Pontiac in Lansing

If it just got sucked into the exhaust you just experienced water injection. Doubt that it did any damage.

I would be having Sharp Words with Advance (here we have Advance, Autozone, and Pep Boys close. I order from GMPD and wait for the mail before going to Advance).

Someday will relate the tale of rebuilding a VW motor three times in as many months because the initial machining had a .002" error.

That said, why does the gasket look dark on the lower right ?

Water injection? Like WW2 planes?

This goofup from Advance isn't acceptable. I'll at least make the point that their computer catalog is prescribing the wrong stuff. We buy loads of stuff from them all the time and have a commercial account. A while back they got a new manager that was being an azzhole to us, but I guess my dad called the district manager...I walked in again and was greeted with an enthusiastic "hello there Mister Croff." That mess started a few months ago when I got CV shafts for my Reatta from them, and the new manager was being a hardazz to warranty it...I got it and it was "pulled out" inside. Kept blaming it on me. I said F it and took the boot apart and fixed it myself. I need to do my shopping at NAPA, Car Quest, or one of the better auto parts stores.

The gasket was a bit wet from the coolant, which is why there's some dark spots.

Philip: Did you get two new "o-rings" for those two coolant ports with the last gasket kit? If not, make sure you get them with the next kit. If the kit does not come with them, get them seperately (GM sells them). I have had instances where the coolant was able to "seep" thru the paper gasket over time. Also, in the pictures you provided I see what appears to be some contaminiation of the sealing surfaces around the coolant ports on both the lower intake and SC. If you can't clean these up, it would be acceptible to smear a very light coating of ultra-black RTV on these surfaces before assembly.

Will keep the O-rings in mind.

The surfaces where the O rings go does look to be a little corroded, but it feels smooth. Will use a small bit of RTV next time though, cuz I'm getting tired of taking it on and off

When I get back from my spring break trip I'm gonna get this project done. I wanna drive!

Just heard about an L-67 oil pan gasket with a built in windage tray (1995 Ultra ?), has anyone here seen one ?

Also prevents foaming of the oil.

I do know for a fact that ALL 3800 Series 2 engines had a "windage tray" as part of the oil pan gasket. IIRC, the Series 1 engines had it built into the pan itself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is there an advantage? </div></div> It keeps the oil off of the crank and lets it spin faster with less resistance. More rpm more hp more fun. (my understanding)

Intake: another 20 (closer to 2)

Catback: like 15 (or 1.5)

35 HP gained, with a 4 banger with maybe 130 hp? Then they say they got the same HP as your Reatta and say they're lighter.

Then they read "supercharged" as they pull away

My corolla has a similar weight to HP ratio as the Reatta. Supercharging it would make it kinda fun (probably ruin the 160K engine rather quickly though and hurt my 37+ mpg)

-Dan

Bump to the S/C Thread;

What Crank Sensor are you using with the S/C Philip? There's a difference between the 3.8L and the Series I Engine. 3.8L up to and including '90 used a Crank Sensor that, according to the FSM (and my memory) called for a special tool for alignment. The tool had fins, like the inside of the Harmonic balancer to ensure there was no clash with the Sensor.

The Series I was designed to be self aligning on quite a different type fastener.

I'm using the CPS prescribed for the '95 SSEi. It bolted up fine with the 2 bolts that normally hold the bracket for the LN3 CPS.

When I worked on my LN3 CPS a long time ago, I did hear about having to align it and stuff, but I just made sure it wasn't touching and tightened the one little bolt in the bracket.

So, I'm using the L67 balancer and L67 CPS.

Blast! I think I over-wrote some photos on my FTP server, so they're not all showing up in the thread. I still have all the originals at home, so not to worry. I need to fix that though.

And yeah, there didn't seem to be any form of adjustment for the L67 sensor, cuz if I recall right, it has the 2 bolts and uses that pin in the middle (you know what I mean).

Back up a minute please. You have a L-67 balancer on a LN3 ("C") crank ? One is a slip fit and the other is a taper fit. Sounds scary.

Uh, yes Padgett. It fits fine. I recall reading of your concerns regarding its fit, but it fits fine, not loose or anything, and hasn't fallen off yet