56,000 miles and I could have left them in?

Guest EDBSO

1aWHY.jpg

So after 56,000 miles I thought that it was time for wires, plugs and oxygen sensor. Got the plugs and wires done and can't find my wrench for the oxygen sensor. I think that I could have left the plugs in??

PS 189,000 miles

I also do it from the top, I just can't find the wrench I used the first time.

Don't have a feeler gauge? They look about right. AC Rapidfires

The spark plugs are probably good for another 30000 miles, but I would recommend that they be removed from the heads more frequently than 56000 miles. I've heard too many horror stories about spark plug threads seizing due to corrosion and heat. Since you went through the trouble of removing them, and the low cost of replacements, I would suggest that new ones be installed.

My first Reatta had about 36,000 miles on it when I got it. At about 50,000 it started to develop a miss when it went into closed loop at about 140 degrees. I checked everything I could think of and looked at the plugs and they looked good with a nice square top on the center electrode. After doing everything I could think of, I took it to my local GM dealer and the mechanic and I worked together on the car and even with all their machines couldn't come up with a reason for the miss. We talked about the plugs but agreed they looked OK. I took the car home and out of desperation put in a set of plugs anyway. Cured the problem. I then took my original plugs and put them into a Corsica that I had been doing some work on, and that car ran fine with my old Reatta plugs. Bottom line------- with all the computer controls I think you did the right thing changing the plugs when you did.

Thanks Flash and all.

Yes I replaced all the plugs. Too much work to get them out and not put fresh ones in. Re:coolant. The level is correct and I haven't added anything this year or perhaps even last year to.

Now if you could only tell me where my 22mm is before I purchase another one today confused.gif