motorized convertable top

hi guys. my '90 reatta convertable begs to have a motorized top replacing the manual top supplied by the factory. i have seen this done on a mercedes 560sl . has anyone tried it on the reatta? when; where; cost ;etc would be helpful to me as i plan on keeping this car for some time to come. <BR>thanks,<P>molar<P><BR>

I'm sure American ingenuity could get it done. The down side is it will affect the value of the car (down) and the motor,controls,etc will reduce trunk space.<P>It's your move.<P>------------------<BR>Barney Eaton Reatta technical advisor for BCA and keeper of the Reatta database.

If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, then I say go ahead and do it. It will be expensive, however. Would you want it to be fully automatic, like the Mercedes? You would need a mechanism to pull the pins, a motor to lift up the rear bow, a relay to pop the tonneau, another motor to lift the tonneau, another motor to pull the convertible top down, and cables retrofitted into the top. Sounds like a tall order, but if you have the money you can do just about anything.

Guest allbuick

Ford made all that kind of stuff happen in the fifties. Remember the 57 Ford with the retractable hardtop? Ever seen one of those work? That was quite an engineering feat. To do that in a Reatta though would be extremely difficult because of lack of space and you could probably pay for the Mercedes for what it would cost.

I guess I don't get it. Having owned many convertibles in the past, i.e. 57 & 58 MGAs, 71 Triumph TR-4A, 57 Jag XK-140, I find the Reatta an extremely simple and very quick top to drop. Why would you want to mess with something so well designed and constructed? It is true if you have unlimited funds you can do anything. I project like that could easily cost >$5000 and still be doomed to failure. Did ya ever hear the expression "if it ain't broke don't fix it"?

Just some facts about the 1957-58 Ford Retractibles. Each one had about 2 miles of wiring that supported about 25 switches that all had to function in order for the thing to work properly. This is why lots of them never worked very well.