what are dimensions of zephyr conv window?

no more

rear window dimensions for the 41-48 conv coupe are 7 3/4 x 22 3/4, only one stiffener was used and it was on bow#3 and it measures 33inches by 1 1/4 inch.

The straps are to hold the rear window in place when its unzipped with the top up to keep the wind from catching it and blowing it around. Also window placement in the flap should be centered in the flap.

Guest imported_V12Bill

Actually there were two stiffeners for the rear window. One was screwed to the rear bow and is totally covered by the top material. The second stiffener is in the top edge of the flap and is about 2" wide and the width of the flap. The straps are to aid in zipping up the sides of the flap. The window is centered between the rear bow and the bottom edge of the flap. If the window is centered on the flap, you can only see the front bumper of a car following you in the inside rear view mirror. The window is the same as the Ford window 41 to 48 and is available from LeBaron Bonney for about $200.

Bill

Thats what i thought.somehow,but they do not look centered top to bottom..they seem to be closer to the top of the zipper area. Bonney sold me a 40 ford window, and for years i have not seem very well out of the back.....Anyone need a 40 ford rear conv window..very good shape..

jeff

sylvania oh

I believe that the authenticity manual is in error on this point. Jerry Emery told me that the window should be centered between the top bow and the bottom of the flap - NOT centered in the flap. My '39 Zephyr convertible has the window centered in the flap (more or less) and all I see in the rear view mirror is the pavement directly behind the car. I suppose I could lower the mirror until such time as I can replace the rear window. Check out Jerry Emery's '40 Continental rear window (attachment - taken at Carlsbad, CA in May, 2005). Jerry drove his car from San Jose to Carlsbad. Don't you just love his license plate 40V12? His '39 Zephyr has "39V12". Both plates were made by Jerry, cast in aluminum and look really authentic!

post-32768-143137886106_thumb.jpg

The information in the authinticity manual is different for the rear window placement on the 38-39 conv coupe as well as the 40, the dimensions I gave out of the manual are for the 41-48 conv coupe which are way different than the early cars, I know mine is placed centered in the flap and I have no problem seeing out of it, so please dont try to compare the window placement from year to year as they are different. and as far as stiffeners there is only one on the 48 on the third bow they probably didnt need any more due to the fact the window and frame are much larger than the early cars.

Guest imported_V12Bill

My 48 convertible has two stiffeners. The car came with the original top and window, although the entire car was in very bad shape. One stiffener is screwed to the rear wood bow and is covered by the top material on both sides. The second is IN the top of the flap and prevents the flap from sagging at its top. The straps that hold the flap are rivoted to the flap through the stiffener and hooks at the top of the strap are inserted through footman loops attached to the rear bow to hold the window up in order to aid in zipping the window flap in place.

Look at the picture of Jerry Emory's car and you can see that the window is NOT centered in the flap. In fact, I met Jerry at a LZOC GOF in VA and was told by him that the window in my 48 LC was incorrect by being centered in the flap. After this bit of Knowledge it became apparent to me that he was correct as I did not have a full field of vision in my inside rear view mirror. My 48 convertible with window centered between top bow and bottom of flap is much easier to view out.

Its your car put the window where ever you want.

Bill

Thats nice that Jerry told you the correct placement for your window in a 48 continential, I gave the placement for a 48 convertible coupe which you should know is different than the LC, the person that asked the question didnt specify which car he was looking for placement of the window. And since I dont see Jerry's name in the list of commitee experts looks like what you have been told is hear say. this is starting to sound like a spitting contest over why the zypher isnt classified as a true classic while the continential is even though it uses the same running gear and wheel base, and the convertible coupe are much rarer than the continential conv. spit spit spit

OK guys. let's not get carried away! We all know that Jerry Emery, though currently president of LZOC, is NOT listed as an "expert". However, Jerry does own two VERY high-point Lincolns, a 1940 Continental convertible and a 1939 Zephyr convertible coupe which means he must be doing SOMETHING right.

We also now know that Jeff's Ohio Zephyr is a 1940 Convertible and that Zephyrs and Continentals are different cars, and that 1940 Zephyrs are different from 1939 Zephyrs. Nobody can dispute the fact that Lincoln Zephyrs are now MUCH more rare than Continentals. (There were SIX 1940 Continentals at Carlsbad, CA. last May and NO 1940 Zephyrs. Mine was the ONLY 1939 Zephyr at that meet).

What I DO know is that the rear window placement in my Zephyr convertible is unsafe. Correct or not, the rear visibility is almost NILL! Jerry told me at Carlsbad that the rear window should be centered between the top bow and the body, NOT centered in the flap. See the attached photo of Jerry's 1939 Zephyr rear window.

What it boils down to, in my opinion, is that the rear window should be placed where the driver can SEE the traffic behind him, not merely pavement! "Authenticty manual" be hanged, THAT would be CORRECT for that car/driver combination. I would MUCH rather have a safe car and no trophy than a trophy and a wrecked car!

I rest my case AND my participation in this thread!!!

post-32768-143137886108_thumb.jpg

Dear Phil,Well said.I have a copy of the Authenticity manual and it is very sketchy at best and contains WRONG information.I say this because i have a couple Early Ford V-8 resto guides and there is NO gray area.I do not mean any disrespect to those that put it together,if they ever picked up the 35-36 or the 38-39 Ford books they would see the difference.Dale smile.gif