1938 Buick Serial Number

roadie72

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Roadie72:

The number you give is probably 13312153, which is a 1938 frame number issued for the Flint plant. It was built very late in December 1937 or early in Jan. 1938. You should find that it has an engine number in the range of 3468000 to 3497000. This engine number will be prefixed by a digit of either 4, 6, 8, or 9, depending on if your car is a 40, 60, 80, or 90 series car. I hope this helps.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Dave

Thank you for the information on my frame number. You are correct,the engine number on this car is 43496845. It is a special convertible coupe. Is there a book that I can acquire that shows this information? Thanks again for your help

Regards Walter

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Walt:

There are several good narrative type books that you would find useful. The best one is a book called "The Buick" by Larry Gustin and Terry Dunham and it's still in print. If you address an e-mail to "BUICKOHV@aol.com" (that's Terry Dunham)I'm sure he will sell you one or can tell you where they're available. Another one, with more pictures, is "The 70 Years of Buick" but I think it's out of print. What you probably want is a book that isn't available yet, whose working title is "The Big Book of Buick Numbers" by yours truly and Terry Dunham. It's a compilation of 4 years so far of frame and engine number research and might be available in about 2007. If you consider "The Buick" as your "tourist's guide to Buick", Buick Numbers probably is the "phone book"!

Regards, Dave Corbin

Dave

Thanks again for the info. I was able to find both of the books you mentioned and ordered them both. Let me know the progress of the one that you are working on. I am new to Buicks so every step on this restoration is a learning one. Thanks again Regards Walter