Brake pump

DavidB

Can anyone help me? My sons 1989 coupe needs a brake pump. How reliable are used pumps? Where can I get a new or rebuilt pump? What price can I expect to pay? Are the pumps the same for all four years? I have a 90 convertible, but my pump has never had a problem. I have 127,000 miles, so when can I expect trouble? My son's coupe has 197,000 miles. Thanks for any help you can give--Dave

Guest F14CRAZY

Used brake pumps are fine to use, because they normally don't go bad...usually because the pressure sensor malfunctioned and allowed the pump to keep running, or from a bad accumulator that made the pump come on too often. I've got one from Jim Finn a few months ago and its been fine.

Though while you're at it, are you sure your accumulator and pressure switch are ok? Might need to wait to get the pump first before testing the switch

From my experience F14crazy is right. The pumps rarely go bad but do sometimes and usually it is because a relay or the pressure switch went bad and caused the pump to continue running when it should have shut off and then ruining the pump.

I do have good used pumps, pressure switches and accumulators and can be reached at jfinn@cpinternet.com

I should also mention I will be away from home from Feb 19 until Mar. 7.

Guest F14CRAZY

Jim reminded me that yes, the brake pump relay can go bad, which probably should be checked into first because it's cheapest (get one from NAPA, the one at advance auto parts is goofy)