Artillery Wheels -- How much difference between '28-'32?

Len

I just bought a 1929 Buick in pretty tough condition. The front wheels are wood spokes, and one has significant rust damage on the rim. The backs are steel discs. I started looking for a set of wooden wheels for the car, and have watched ads for '28 and '32 wheels for sale. How compatible are the wooden wheels over the different model years? Can anyone recommend wheelwrights -- both for new spokes and work on the rims? Thanks!

Lin;

29 buicks have (or should have) 20 inch wheels. 28's were 21 inch and 30's were 19 inches. Wheels on 29's depend on model,standard or master.

Check out the SILVER ANNIVERSARY BUICK club. www.29buick.ca is a good site for 29 owners. W.E. McLaughlin puts out a news letter for 29's. bill@29buick.ca

I have some wheels for standard (series 116) buicks and parts car with extra parts.

Terry29-26

Thanks very much, Terry. I contacted the Silver Anniversary Club after purchasing the car -- they said they were mailing a welcome package. I have to (hopefully today) remove a plastic "gas tank" that someone attached to the firewall that is obscuring the patent plate and try to gently clean up the plate so that I can determine my model number. The plan is to restore the car to an original configuration and drive train, but since we don't have a body (just up to the cowl and dash), set it up like this:

http://www.buickclub.org.au/Content_Photo.php?Photo=657c955bd8ed480214bd7e17265d6d6b.jpg

but perhaps a full-fendered version. I will ultimately need quite a few body parts if we go with a full-fendered version (right now, I just have front fenders, one of which is pretty rough)....I've got a lot of assessment ahead of me in terms of figuring out the condition of my drivetrain, which is complete but apparently hasn't been run in 30 years. Wheels are a short term need....I would like to talk with you further about other parts you may have in the near future.....

Len,

That would be extremely cool, especially considering you don't have a body. Good luck with it. I picked up a '29-51 last April - a few photos are at my 1929 Model 51 page.

Bill McLaughlin has been very good to me for information - I wound up purchasing a number of the manual photocopies he makes available...some of them would be well worth your perusal.

Len,

I restored a 29 Buick several years ago. The spokes(artillery wheels)on my car were in good shape, but I know several others who have had new wood wheels made by Amish craftsmen. I will try to get a contact name if you like, but you will most likely have to contact them via snail mail.

Mark Shaw

Vancouver, Wa

Len,

1929 model wheels are unique to 1929. Are the discs on the rear original or fabricated to repair damaged wooden wheels? Disc wheels were an option, but very rare ( Bill MCLaughlins 29 roadster sports a set ).

Am interested where you located the photo of the 28 special.

This was a local car ( Western Australia ) which was stripped down and raced for several years at Lake Perkallily near Kalgoorlie in the late 20's.

After completing a restoration of a 1928 Roadster I gave my tons of leftover parts to a friend who built a replica of this car, and uses it in historic races here in Perth. I'll try scanning some photos and loading them on the site.

I'll have to take some pictures of the disc wheels and send them to Bill to examine. The rear discs are not a matched set (they're different on each side). My guess is that my 29 was converted into a "doodlebug" or speedster some time prior to 1972 or so, when the previous owner obtained the car. My friend Patrick found the photo of the '28 Australian racecar by searching the internet for Buick info -- we thought it had real winning style and was something we could aspire to with our car. You should be able to follow that link back to the site's homepage -- isn't it an Australian chapter of a Buick club? Our Buick is in rough shape....it wasn't stored inside, and we have a lot of welding ahead of us. But the thought is to keep it simple, as original as possible, and to make up for a missing body with nice clean craftmanship where we have to repair and fabricate. Less is going to be more, I hope. It would be really great to see some pictures of your friend's replica of the '28 racer. Right now I'm crossing my fingers that we can revive the master engine.

That's a good thought. There is an amish community near my wife's parents home in upstate New York, near Canton. Might be worth checking out. I also found a website for a wooden wheel restorer in Pennsylvania:

http://www.calimerswheelshop.com/

This guy, however, refers out work on the steel rims...I will need some help also with the "demountable(?)" portion of the wheels due to some tough rust.....might be best to find some better 1929 donor wheels to start before I try to revive what I have.