Sign in to follow this  
leadsled1953

year of manufacture plates in NJ

well it looks like we will be living in the garden state by march.what are the laws on yom plate use there?any other laws that apply to antique cars.i will have a 2 car garage which is nice after having to rent a garage for my cars . cool.gif

Hello & Welcome to the Garden State - Despite our reputation as the land of toxic waste sites and areas known for their exit # - much of NJ is country - there are cows grazing and corn growing less than a mile from my house (well not today - though the cows might've been out grazing today, it was a record 64 degrees F!) and that's less than 5 miles from interstate 80! YOM license plates hang on your wall. You can use regular tags, with yearly registration renewal and every other year inspection - either free at a state facility or about $75 from an authorized garage for your antique, modern or any car that you use for work, commuting etc. Or, so long as your "antique" is at least 25 years old (1981 or before - God help us but 1981 models can't really be "antiques" can they???) and is used occasionally or for educational purposes or antique car events or other similar pursuits - like 99% of us use our old cars, you can apply for the infamous QQ plates - named for their prefix QQ on the plates. There's a one time $50 registration fee and no inspection requirement. You must "reregister" the vehicle every three years at no cost to yourself except a .39 stamp. You can pickup the application forms at any local Motor Vehicle Commission (formerly the dreaded DMV) office - lately their employees have been really nice (at least to me - and that's a rarity - that people are nice to me that is!- lol) and a pleasure to do business with. But you must send the forms in to the main MVC office in Trenton. Vanity QQ plates are available for an additional charge ($50 - $100 add'l I think, I forget exactly what ours cost). In addition antique motorcycle plates - the Q plates - half the size plate with 1/2 the prefix - and special plates for street rods and, I think, custom cars are also available. Again, welcome and what area of our "fine" state are you relocating to? Perhaps I can recommend a club or local activity or group you'd be interested in, depending upon your area of interest that is!!!

thank you for the info.guess i'll hang on to the plates just in case we can get nj to let people use yom plates someday grin.gif.i'm moving to medford nj.my parents lived there for over 30 years and i liked it there.so now both my parents have passed away i figured it was time to make a change and move closer to my sisters.any neat car clubs and shows in the area[spring is coming] cool.gif

Not sure if OlcarHerb is up to date on this, but in New Jersey, Year of Manufacture (YOM) plates are permited on the front only if, and only if the rear tag is the NJ Historic plate. Herb is right that you can apply for Historic (called QQ) vanity plates or just accept the random number versions. If you choose to use the Historic plates, NJ restricts the use to car events and shows and are exempt from the annual inspection rules. BTW: If you've been convicted of a DWI or reckless driving offense in NJ, then you're not entitled to the vanity versions, QQ or regular ones. If I find the copy of the state letter, I'll post it.

Chris smirk.gif