Error Codes

Guest Hitzzz

Now that I finally got to my error codes on the EMC my question now is .... I can see what value a particular component should be by checking the shop manual and if these value are out of range can I determine that this part should be replaced ...???? It seem that most of the values in the manual are in volts so if it's not in spec. it should be replaced ...???? Correct ...???? Is this how the codes are read or I'm I going in a totally wrong direction...????

Guest Stan Leslie

I'm not sure have error codes or have gotten to them yet. It sounds like you are in the 'monitor' mode which allows you to monitor the actual values of various inputs/outputs. If they are out of range that could indicate a possible problem area, but an arror code would just be something like E55, E256, B141 (I made those up, but that is what they look like). They are normally encountered prior to acessing the 'monitor' mode. What year is your car and maybe someone can give you more specific instructons, to access the error codes?

The sensor values in the service manual are general guidelines. You need to understand how the sencer works and what are the conditions when you are taking the readings. Is the engine warm, are you hitting the throttle, is it in drive, was it just started, is the A/C on, how fast are you going, etc.. If you have codes you should look in the manual under that perticular code. It tends to give a brief discription, diagram of the circuit, more detailed sencer readinds, and hints for intermitants. Follow the trouble tree with testing. If you have more than one code they say to start with the hight number code first. The idea being if it has a code for a bad ECM and many other sencer codes it tends to be the ECM problem setting the other codes. If you gave more details like Stan said we could be more of help.<P>Tom

<P> The checking of sensor "reasonability" is done continuosly by the ECM. The ability to actually read the values can be useful during troubleshooting, but unless there is a failure code set which relates to a specific sensor, it is probably reading within range. Just about all the sensors, except air flow, are resistance based devices which are fairly robust. They usually fail "hard". Calibration shifts are more likely caused by faulty connections.

1990 Coupe, I have (8) error codes displayed ... Starting with a E015 and ending with E042 ... If what Tom W. says I should start with the high numbered code which would be the E042 (Electronic Spark Timing Circuit.) Now that I'm driving the car daily I hope to get a better feel for the problem(s) .... the car will once and awhile stall at a stop lite and the other day while driving for only about 1 mile in 15 degree weather, the engine stumbles a little (does not die) and the check-engine comes on for a quick second and then everything recovers fine .... I only have a 2 mile dive to work so I don't know yet if this stumbling continues after the engine is totally warmed up ...I think I'll pull my battery cable again to clear out the current codes and see if the same codescome up over the next couple of days .... does any of this make sense ...??? and or any suggestions...????<BR>

Your on the right path. 8 is a lot of codes which might be cause by one problem like the ECM. Or it could be the last owner didn't have the car maintained well and you have a bit of work ahead of you.

Do the errors code on the EMC clear themselves ...??? I had the (8) on my ECM ... I checked them last nite and nothing there ... but I'm still having the stalling problem ....from time to time. It's still a bit cold here in Wisconsin to spend time outside under the hood working on this stalling problem but I got to figure this out sooner than to much later ....

Some cares clear codes after maybe 100 restarts. I don't think the Reattas do. I would say you might have a faulty ECM or power/ground feed wire to the ECM problem. One of these two are normily the culprate when it has a ton of codes at one time and then none the next. A bad ECM or ECM wire would also cause intermitant stalling. <P>Look in the manual on how to do a code 12 test by jumping a+b on the ALDL. This will test some parts of the ECM and will also give you trouble code with the check engine light. Do this test several times. If it keeps comming up with different codes then I would get a ECM.<P>Notice after the car stalls if the check engine light comes on. It should. If not than it tends to be a power/ground to the ECM problem. Look in the manual to see what wires should be grounded, Battery +, or Ign sw +. Then test your wires going to the ECM. Also look at the connections by the battery and power/ground blocks. I does not hurt to clean and retighten any power or ground wire (this can clear your codes). <P>Does your check engine light come on while driving? If so and you can't get any codes any way the get a new ECM. <P>Figure out your code problem and that may leed to your stalling problem.<P>Tom