63 GP questions

Amphicar BUYER

I'm thinking about buying a decent 63 GP. Are parts available? What should I look for on this particular model? Interior is 95% perfect. Rust in trunk floor and lower front fenders, needs radio, GP letters for both fenders and right rocker moldings. Straight body, newly rebuilt matching # engine, 8-lug (x5), AC, PWR windows, seats, steering & brakes. Any opinions as to a reasonable value?

The '63 GP is a beautiful car IMO. Many items for the car are being remade and are sold by Ames or PerformanceYears and there are lots of NOS parts available. I don't think the trunk floors are being remade but I would think any '63 or '64 Catalina or GP floor would be the same and you should be able to find one. The 2004 Cars & Prices guide says a '63 GP no. 1 car is worth $20,000, #2 $14,000, #3 $8,000. That may be a little high. There were two really nice GPs at Carlisle Spring last year and both were no. 2 or between no. 1 and no. 2 and the asking price on both was around $13,000 as I recall. One needed the dash pad replaced to be an almost perfect car but Just Dashes can make that. I don't recall '63 GPs going for high prices on Ebay although I don't really follow them closely. A radio should be no problem as they are on Ebay all the time.

Odd that you should mention the frame. When I looked underneath, the frame had a section about the size of my hand that was very crunchy just below and behind the leading edge of the doors (both sides). I opted to leave it with it's current owner because of that. It will make a good resto project, but not for me.

Thanks for all the good words and info.

John

We had made the deal over the phone the night before. After I looked it over but forgot to look underneath. After the deal was done he got back on the phone and mentioned the rusty frame. He was honest with me and that is more rare than anything! He was not upset that I backed out of the deal. More people like that would certainly make the world a better place!

John

• 4 weeks later...

John,

The other issue with 63 and 64 GP and Catalina is the Slim Jim auto tranny. This is NOT the same as the 4 speed hydros used in the Bonneville. Unlike Olds where all 63 and 64 Olds had the Slim Jim, Pontiac only used it in the Catalina and GP cars. At least a manual transmission was optional on the Pontiacs but the Olds Starfires are stuck with Slim Jims.

If you want a GP, go with a good body and a driving car. Make sure the Slim Jim is working normally. BTW, normal for a slim jim is not normal for any other tranny so make sure you like the way it drives in CO. I would think the altitude and the hills would give those trannys fits. They are somewhat fragile anyway.

63 GP, I might be interested in the GP that you decided not to buy, for I have a 63 Catalina Frame that I have been holding onto/trying to sell rolling frame, and this would make a great replacement for that 63GP, please forward out the contact information on the GP to me at tct546@yahoo.com

Thanks, Tom