V12 transmission

Starliner61352

Hi!

Anyone out there who have any idea of what modern transmission (gearbox) would be suitable for mating to the Zephyr V12 engine? Preferably a manual 4 or 5 speed top loader with short stick, and preferably a US Ford product. Iron Age technology only, no electronic controll, that means mid 60s to about 1990.

Prepared to make a bellhousing adapter. Some say the Borg Warner T10 is the right choise, but which cars can it be found in? Rod-project based around a 1936 Zephyr V12 engine.

Thanks!

Oyvind, Norway

Guest imported_V12Bill

Try the Fordbarn EarlyV 8 forum for your answer. Just the other day some one was asking about putting a T 5(?) 5 or 6 speed trans behind a Ford V 8 . Apparantly this is a common transplanat, because a lot of people were offering advise based on their experience. Since the V 12 and early ford V 8 share the same bellhousing and clutch parts, the transfer should be basicly the same.

Bill

Hey Art, do you kmow Steiner there in Norway with the classic car sales facility?? I used to talk to him when he had a postwar Lincoln convertible. Don't be confused by the myths about Zephyr gears, they are not one iota stronger than Ford gears, and will break easily with hard use, I know from sad experience, they also are not a top-loader unless you put the gears in a 1939 Ford case and use the '39 top and shift lever, or use one of the old Hurst style shifters that use the side shift case. A friend of mine is putting a late Ford top loader transmission in a hot rod using a Mercury flathead engine, believe I have a picture, probally too big for this rig here, but I will try, good luck, Rolf

Follow up, found this from my friend, looks like the picture didn't make it entered it twice, but if you want to see it or get more info, write me at rolf$got.net

The transmission is another 60's Ford piece, a top loader 4 speed with an 80's Jeep shifter tower to get that old 3 speed feel. I found out that a Tremec 4 speed found in 80's CJ Jeeps had the same gear layout and bolt pattern for the top cover as found on the Ford box.

Back in my hot rod days (many years ago) the zephyr gears were used primarily because they were of a closer ratio and you could wind out first and second more than the standard ford trans. I think I got mine from JC Whitney back then. grin.gif

I used those gears in my model A (yes chevy sb) hot rod and still tore out transmissions, rear ends and axle keys. Finally switched to an automatic with open driveshaft rear end.