Pierce-Arrow fuel pump

Guest Randy Berger

Guest Randy Berger

What is the make and model number of the OEM fuel pump for a 1931 Pierce-Arrow?

I have posted this query in both the CCCA - TECH QUESTIONS and the AACA - TECH QUESTIONS, but have only gotten one response and got no reply when contacted. Thanks in advance for your expertise.

• 2 weeks later...

Randy, I checked with one of the "walking encyclopedias" and am told that the 29-30's are AC, but 31&32 use a Stewart Warner pump #414Y, then the 33-4 went back to an AC. My next question was if the engines were the same block, 29-37 what's different? I was also told the A/C housing used, was the same for a lot of cars, but only Pierce used the "straight up" arm, and it is the longest arm. I went out to my 29 & 30 Pierces and can not see the AC number anywhere from the top or by laying on the ground. Does this help any? If you need more, let me know. He also told me you would find hens teeth easier than the Stewart pump! One other thing he could not answer, was would an earlier or later one fit the bolt pattern and work. Karl

Guest Randy Berger

Karl, thank you for tour response. I'm sure my friend can use the info. Not many Pierce-Arrow fanatics who can answer questions. Thanks again.

Randy, If you want a few photos of the 29-30 a/c pumps I can e-mail them to you so you can look at the mounting holes. I was also told the Diecast grew on just about every Stewart pump, and this is why they are hard to find. I was also told this "Stewart" was a Pierce only pump too. Karl

• 2 weeks later...

Randy:

I would advise you to inquire with Tom Hannaford at Antique Auto Parts Cellar in So. Weymouth, MA 781-335-1579. He reproduces the best rebuilding kits for fuel pumps and has built reproduction AC pumps from new castings he has tooling for. He would steer you in the right direction if nothing else for a Stewart Warner pump. He helped greatly in supplying parts to rebuild the 1933 Studebaker Indianapolis race car high volume Stewart pump. Stude8