questions.. any help would be apprec...

Hi, everyone.<BR>I very recently purchased an '88 Reatta. It's white with red int., I don't see it on any lists here. I believe the history I've found on it implies it was brought back from the underworld. When I was younger my wallet admired Reattas from a distance, but now I've found one. It's in great shape, and most things work fine. <P>*Except for the High beams not working, and the Engine Controls Sys- sometimes tells me there is an electrical problem. But later system checks say all is A_OK. Could these (unrelated) issues actually be the same or should I start the process of replacing plugs, wires, coil, etc? Any info would be appreciated.<P>I absolutely think this is the best car I've ever driven, even in the yr 2001. I also have known a Fiero(2seater electrical wonder) which also had production stopped prematurely. Why are domestic car companies afraid to put some effort into creating a niche? As I can see from this club for Reattas and from clubs for Fieros...these cars would continue to sell themselves forever. What a huge mistake to stop making them. <P>This Reatta really reminds me of my Fiero, but seems to be a class above it in style, comfort, and gadjetry. I hope to try and drive this car forever. I hear this is no simple task but I am happy to see these sites on the net are here to help. ThanX.<P>JON_88

The Reatta is more than two classes above the Fiero.... I purchased a new '84 (4 cylinder was the only engine available) The biggest complaint was room...you had to pull a trailer if you wanted to go across town. forget golf clubs or a cooler.<P>The Reatta is much more complex and I recommend you purchase a service manual.<BR>With the manual you can diagnose almost any problem as the Reatta has on board diagnostics. <P>------------------<BR>Barney Eaton Reatta technical advisor for BCA and keeper of the Reatta database.

Thanks, Barney. Yes I do need a service manual. Which do you recommend?: the factory one? or a commercial one. I mostly want the codes and directions for using the diagnostics. That crt diagnostic system looks very indepth. I've found zero Haynes/ Chilton books on the Reatta. So should I be trying to get that $80 one everyone is talking about? <P>*Thanks for replying and yes your right the Reatta is way better then the Fiero, though comparing a Reatta to an '84- 4 banger is not the best way to test. I had an '86, V6 SE---and still have the '88 V6,GT which simply rocks. I simply compare them because of the 2 seat option and because of the control I feel when on the road with these two vehicles.<BR>And also the electrical mishaps I hear alot of here, can be explained with experience from keeping that '88 Fiero ripping. <P>thanx again<BR>jon-88<BR>

I have GM service manual for the 88 Reatta. I shows some wear but it is all there with the codes, wiring, engine and body specs, etc. I think $40 is a fair price. E mail me if you have interest.<BR>DAVE<P>------------------<BR> My Topless Reatta<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/drbuch2000/TheReatta.html" TARGET=_blank>http://hometown.aol.com/drbuch2000/TheReatta.html</A>

I think if I was in your shoes, I would pick up the factory manual for $40. I paid $50 for mine via ebay and I've seen them hit $75.<P>It will tell you everything you will ever need to know about the car. Invaluable.<BR>

yes... thank you. I've emailed you Dave. ThanX for the offer. I believe my journey with this Reatta should begin with a good thorough reading. The last 6 days of driving it have shown me that. And posts here on this message board have got me on my toes ready for anything and hopefully everything. <P>And Yes, Billy, I think your right. A parts store clerk guessed it at around $80 bucks for a new one today, ..at a <BR>phone #...1-800-551-4123 ...sheesh! <BR>And I'm definately familiar with used, battered manuals from working with my other cars. I'm not sure I could read a service manual if all the pages were still there. I like the missing pages, the job just gets done that much faster..heh. <P>*ThanX for the help guys,<BR>Jon_88