1930 Cadillac V8 - Performance Question

Steve17551

I'm under the impression that the 1930 Cadillac can be somewhat under-powered with the V8 engine. Can anyone share their experience with me. What is a comfortable, prudent cruising speed? What is the approximate full speed? What is the standard differential ratio?

I am interested in purchasing a car mostly for occasional, local driving enjoyment. A cruising speed of fifty mph would be fine. However, participating in a regional rally or travel to a regional meet is of interest. I don't believe that I need particularly high speeds, but occasionally it is most convenient to be on a highway where fifty-five or sixty mph speed is appropriate. Will I find a 1930 Cadillac V8 suitable for my purposes?

I appreciate your input. Steve ooo.gif

I just sold a 1930 Cadillac 353 V8 convertible coupe. This particular car had a comfortable cruising speed of 55-60 mph. The motor was a solid, original motor, but not a recent rebuild by any means-compression was a little uneven and the motor did smoke a bit. "Comfortable" cruising speed means that at 55-60 mph the motor wasn't being overworked and the car handled well at that speed. I would think the car could have been pushed into the 70+ range without problem, but 55-60 was the "happy range" for both the car and the driver!. Of course, there are alot of factors that might determine the top speed of the car you are thinking about: rear end ratios (I don't know what it was in my car, nor what other ratios Cadillac offered), condition of motor, overall weight of the car, and, first and foremost, how well the car is sorted out mechanically.Certain vehicles like limousines and seven passenger sedans tended to have lower ratio rear ends, which, combined with the extra body weight, will certainly reduce the top end speeds while the lighter cars like roadsters or phaetons often had higher rear end gearing. This particular car was very pleasant to drive, however, it probably could have been improved upon with a higher ratio ring and pinion or maybe an overdrive. Whatever the gearing was in this car, it seemed like it could have been a bit higher without greatly reducing the low end. Most of these early period Full Classics ® have unfortunately not been maintained or used as they should be and suffer from maladies such as bad brakes, bad steering, hard shifting, under power, etc. and, these problems have been unfortunately blamed on the particular marque or model when in reality, are the fault of improper maintanence, improper restorations, and/or lack of use. If you have reasonable expections and are willing to take the time to thorougly "sort" the car out, I think the 1930 Cadillac will make a fine car.

I have driven my 1932 Cadillac V8 All Weather Phaeton about 10,000 miles in the last four years. Although my Cadillac is rated for 115 HP rather than 95 HP for a 1930 model, the weight to horsepower ratio is 44 pounds to each horse power (44 to 1). A 1930 Convertible Coupe is 51 to 1. That is not a very great differance. Also I have ridden in several 1930 and 1931 V8 Cadillacs and driven a couple. They all cruise at about 55 to 60 MPH if properly set up and maintained. If you want a higher cruising speed without losing acceleration, you will need to install an overdrive unit.