How can I be sure which way to go

Guest Reatta89

Guest Reatta89

I have read all the FAQ advise regarding fixing the power antenna an am still unsure which route I should go. My antenna is currently stuck in the extended psoition. It measures 30" long from the fender to the end of the Finial cap. I am able to move the lower portion of the antenna down slightly and also the top part of the mast if I raise the lower portion back up. I note that there is resistance when I push either down. I had to disconnect the power to the antenna as it continued to run when I shut the radio off. Should I consider replacing the complete antenna or just the mast. Prices quoted to me from gmparts direct.com (incl S&H) for antenna P/N 22071328 $82.90. Mast P/N 22038185 $18.84 Lambert Buick partsgm.com quoted $87.30 for the antenna + S&H. How can I be sure which to get. If I go with mast replacement, would I have to remove the Finial Cap, then the black serrated nut and then the chrome nut inorder to slide the antenna thru the fender. Thirdly, must I disconnect the negative battery cable as the service manual says, the reason I ask is because I have already disconnect the power lead. Alternatively, if I oreder the complete antenna, does it also come with the antenna relay which is on top of the electrical connector. If it doesn't, does it merely unplug or what do I have to do. Any inputs would be appreciated. <P>------------------<BR>

Depends on how picky you are about reception, mainly. If you listen to talk shows, am is particulary(sp?) picky about metal quality and especially ground integrity. If funny satic bothers you, use only the factory GM part, the price you had with the part #, if the money saving option appeals, try the mast first. I do believe it will fix the retraction problem, but sometimes the antenna motor fills with water and ruins the potential for a good ground. also make sure the drain tube is not plugged. also, yes, it does come with the relay(the GM one, anyway. If you are really concerned about that, I can check)

Your problem is a broken antenna mast cable. You can get it from your GM Dealer for $16.60. P/N 22038195. Go to <A HREF="http://www.reatta.net" TARGET=_blank>www.reatta.net</A> and click on FAQ,then click on Antenna and follow Barney's detailed procedure for the cable replacement. I suggest you add the Reatta Data Page to your Favorites list as it has a world of valuable info on maintaining your Reatta. The reason the antenna motor runs all the time is that is is trying to retract the mast but can't because the plastic cable is broken. If the relay were bad, the motor wouldn't run.

I would just get the antenia and motor and be done with it. You would save some money by going with a mast replacement but it makes the more time consuming and complex. Replacing the whole moter on this car is easy. If you buy the whole antenia motor assembly you can expect it to work like new and work for years. It's kinda like just fixing a old engine so it works again or replacing it with a new one which you should expect to be reliable. <P>I'm not sure about Reatta's but most GM's require a special socket toremove the nut on top of the mast. If so try to find one at a parts store. They do have many sizes of these sockets. With out the socket you will mar up the nut on the antenia.<P>Also never put in one of those universal power antenias. They wont fit right and bracket won't work. They are switched different than a stock GM anteina so you would have to do something special with the wires. They don't look the same. You might have a generic crome nut holding it in on your quarter panel. They are hard to set up so the mast is strait when up.<P>Tom

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Walsh:<BR><B>I would just get the antenia and motor and be done with it. You would save some money by going with a mast replacement but it makes the more time consuming and complex. Replacing the whole moter on this car is easy. If you buy the whole antenia motor assembly you can expect it to work like new and work for years. It's kinda like just fixing a old engine so it works again or replacing it with a new one which you should expect to be reliable. <P>I'm not sure about Reatta's but most GM's require a special socket toremove the nut on top of the mast. If so try to find one at a parts store. They do have many sizes of these sockets. With out the socket you will mar up the nut on the antenia.<P>Also never put in one of those universal power antenias. They wont fit right and bracket won't work. They are switched different than a stock GM anteina so you would have to do something special with the wires. They don't look the same. You might have a generic crome nut holding it in on your quarter panel. They are hard to set up so the mast is strait when up.<P>Tom</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I agree. The job took me about 5 minutes of real time and about 5 minutes including an inquiry about how to separate the coax posted here. It would be an easier choice I suppose if gmpartsdirect.com didn't charge ~$10 for shipping. If you go through them expect about a weeks wait.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I would rather pay $16 than $87 as 99% of the time it is the plastic cable that breaks and not the motor. If you buy the whole assy. the cable won't last any longer than the one in the mast replacement kit. Just my 2 cents worth.

I took apart mine so now the plastic cable just sticks out at the bottom of the antenna inside the trunk. This way, the antenna is still always up, but I can push it down before using the car wash. I'm not sure why it really needs to go down each time the car is turned off, so this works for me.<BR>