Paint

Guest 1929Chandler

Guest 1929Chandler

Hi, I am about to start painting the motor on my 29 Chandler . The last person who painted it seem to use the right color.But it has peeled & rusted to what seems to me to soon. I am not sure of the color ,Type, or Brand to use so that it will look original and last. Any help in this matter would be appreciated.thanks!!!!!

Roger I took a part still with orginal paint to an automotive paint store to be matched last year. They did a pretty good job and recommended a urethane to protect the engine. I will send you a picture of a part I painted so you can see the color.

The label on the can says Du Pont Nason Ful-Thane. The color is listed as Spectramaster green, but I am sure there is a more specific formula on file at the paint store.

The paint was not cheap but it seems very close to what I think is the original color.

Guest 1929Chandler

Thanks for the great picture Chris. The paint on mine now seems to be darker than that on yours. The information you gave was exactly what I needed. I really appreciate the information.

My original paint was a little darker too. The paint shop that dirt and oil over time would compensate for that. Thus we chose a slightly lighter color. If you have a part still with paint on it take it to a good shop and see what they can do. if you need more info I am told the formula if still on file at the paint shop here.

Guest imported_PWN

My grandfather in a 1960's Antique Automobile had an article about the Chandler (a feature article with the car on the back cover) that I now own. He sold it in Wauchula Fl in 1922 and said it was the Chandler Rainbow blue, but he repainted it in the 1950s (when he bought the car back)and said he used Chrysler red, which was also an official Chandler color. I have an old brochure that backs up the color and indicates that the body and cowl were blue and the fenders and hood and running gear were black. It sounds strange that the hood would be a different color but that is what the brochure states. I believe it is for 22 and 23 models.