HELP-HVAC FAN WON'T SHUT OFF

Guest DAVESWF

Guest DAVESWF

Last night when I came home the HVAC fan on my 90 Reatta would not turn off, even with the ignition off. I disconnected the battery (didn't want to take the time to look for the fuse, as it was late). I plan to look at it today--any suggestions as to where to start looking for the problem?

Thanks --

You need a new blower control module. It is located on the engine side of the firewall in the heater plennum and has two connectors on it. While you are waiting to replace it you can unplug the connector on the blower motor. The blower motor and it's connector are also right behind the engine on the firewall.

I have several Reatta parts cars and have a good blower module available. I can be reached at jfinn@cpinternet.com

Hi,

I've got a '91 with a slightly different problem . . . maybe somebody knows what to do about this issue:

The HVAC system seems tired, if you put the front defroster on, the fan doesn't kick on regardless of temperature, if I manually move the fan to the high setting, it still doesn't engage until 10 - 15 minutes after the car has been running . . . makes it pretty difficult to clear the front windshield of fog/frost . . . does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanx,

Nittany

On the '90-91s it is most likely the ECC, the Electronic Climate Control. (The unit you are trying to operate.) Some people have had success taking it apart and cleaning behind the buttons. If that fails I do have good working ECCs available. The other item that controls the system is the heater programmer located under the glove box but this unit has nothing to do with the fan speeds, only controls the temperature and directs the output of the system. jfinn@cpintenet.com

BLOWER CONTROL MODULE...Mine went out last weekend, failed always on HIGH. A good picture of in '98 SERVICE MANUAL "FINAL EDITION" page 8A-201--7-Fig.C. , but there it's called out as POWER MODULE.

Once the plasti cover mentioned is removed... I used a Short 7mm socket on 1/4" Universal and 6"Exstension. Tight wiggle up and forward and it's out.

If you're not going to pull it soon, kill the fan when not wanted, by disconnecting the smaller connector on the module. WITH ENGINE OFF Just plug it back in (without clipping the locking tabs) when you want air flow.