What is the worst thing about Reattas?

Guest allbuick

Guest wally888

Although I have replaced or repaired many things during the past 6 years (car had 103k<BR>when I aquired), Alternator-2 sensors-headliner-struts-radio-antennae-accumulator-a/c door actuator-big oil leak-shorted wires under consol -relays-headlamp parts.........<BR>The possibility of a brake malfunction is constantly on my mind while driving!1989.<BR>BRAKES!<P>------------------<BR> <A HREF="http://www.reatta.net" TARGET=_blank>www.reatta.net</A> has supplemental info re.88, 89 and 90 Reatta Brakes.<BR>Please inform me of any new info, info needing editing or errors. A work in progress.

i think the most discouraging thing is apparent resale values ( THIS SITE OR EBAY) especially coupes, if you have paid any premium to purchase a really good one it seems that there is no way to sell or trade without taking a total beating. so its hard to balance the money is irrelevant against some practical purchasing practices. ???

I would have to say the lack of parts. Engine and transmission parts seem to be easy to get. The Reatta only parts are just really hard to come by. When you do, be ready to pay big bucks. The brakes seem to be a problem for some. I have not had any yet, but it is a concern. The 88 89 touch screens can not be repaired at the drop of a hat either. Again, I have had no problem, but remember these cars are getting old.

Water comes into passenger compartment if you crack the window open during rain....avoid take-out window....ash-tray takes my eyes off road....must drive with dust-buster on lap.

The poor design of the instrument panel (88). I can never find what I'm looking for in the dark (however, I suppose it would help it I got my panel lighting fixed, right now I count buttons to find things)<P>Or it may be the fact the high tech-ness of an older car seems to scare some mechanics. They seem to miss the simplest things, blaming problems on more hi-tech gadgets. They seem to forget the car have the same 3.8 as any other Buick. Such mistakes can be costly, as I have learned from past experience (&*$@! spark plug wires)

My top three are:<BR>1. Brakes<BR>2. Brakes<BR>3. Brakes<P>Oh yes, in case you have not heard there is a good fix for the "clouded" tail light problem. Go to the closest "general aviation" airport and buy airplane windshield cleaner. It works great to remove small scratches and coat plastic airplane windshields AND Reatta tail lights. <P>------------------<BR> My Topless Reatta<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/drbuch2000/TheReatta.html" TARGET=_blank>http://hometown.aol.com/drbuch2000/TheReatta.html</A>

Buick made them, and GM made Buick!<BR>Their support for there BEST products STINK!!!<P>Appendum:<BR>I forgot. Okay, it's a tie: Support from Buick and lack of rain gutters! Couldn't they have done something about that?<p>[This message has been edited by Consultants_1 (edited 01-23-2001).]

Hey consiltants, you want rain gutters or do you want quiet ride and the wind to zip on past as you cruise with the window down. Can't have both! Then, it does not rain much where I am.

Note to EdgeCrusher:<P>Go to a NAPA parts store and buy two anti-rattle kits for those noisy rear brake calipers. I had my brake guy install them and now all is quiet.<BR>It does seem weird that this problem exists in the first place.<BR>

The prospect of a $3000 brake job on my meticulously, dealer-maintained auto was the straw that broke the camel's back. I had lots of other problems along the way (a/c major repairs. engine replacement, etc.) I'm thinking the car wasn't the best example of a Reatta ever to hit the street. frown.gif<P>But anyway, I'd have to say the ABS and the darn headlight motors (or just the plastic gear therein), were the things that annoyed me most!<BR>

Hey consultants1, I just looked in Webster's dictionary and your word "appendum" is not in it. Perhaps you meant to say "addendum". Whatever.<P>For me, the worst thing about the low-mileage Reatta I owned was that I couldn't really drive it anywhere; I was afraid to. What if someone rear-ended or t-boned me? Ka-blammo, no more collector car. I just couldn't bear to drive such a beautiful car in the city, so that's why I sold it to a collector. These cars are the last of their kind; when they're gone, that's it, there won't be any more. The few people around the country who are storing away these cars are doing the right thing.

I will always maintain my brakes, my greatest fear. The wiring splices under the passenger seat have corroded and failed causing several lighting problems. The AC distribtuion vent caused condensation in the plastic wiring track and corroded the splices. This complaint does not disminish my affection for this car. I just like driving and looking at in spare time.<P>Gary Frank

About the cruise control:<P> Shift out of overdrive into the regular<BR>"drive" gear and it will be fine on the hills while using cruise control.<BR>

I have a 1990 convertible, only 25K miles and 1988 Black with Sunroof+ loaded, and a 1991 Riviera.<BR>The broblem I don't like about these cars?<BR>They don't hold the price, and are very difficult to sell, people are just afraid or don't know about them.<BR> citroens@hotmail.com <BR>Prakash<p>[This message has been edited by prakash raja (edited 02-04-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mike g:<BR><B>About the cruise control:<P> Shift out of overdrive into the regular<BR>"drive" gear and it will be fine on the hills while using cruise control.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I have no such problem. Have you tried turning up the radio?<P>Sounds like a vacuum leak to me.<p>[This message has been edited by miata'nreatta (edited 02-04-2001).]

• 2 weeks later...

No cup holder... and hard to find parts. I'm also afraid to drive at times fearing I may get rear ended or something. I only drive on sunny dry days.<BR>Mollie

Let's see, it's transient, right now it's the right headlight motor that I broke the brush on when I disassembled it to "fix" it, fixed the left one fine. For a 212,000 mile daily driver I can't complain, although haven't had brake trouble.