Hi wiper switch/bulb

Would I be correct in assuming that the Hi Wiper switch front snaps off for bulb replacement ('88 model year)? I've seen some threads about removing the dash for switch replacement, but I can't imagine the process would be that complicated to replace a bulb.<P>Again, trying to avoid the 30 second repair turning into a minor catastrophe...<P>I'm getting close to the end of my Winter to do list on my car and looking forward to Spring to take it out on the road!<p>[This message has been edited by miata'nreatta (edited 01-21-2001).]

I just happened to have the wiper switch out of my 88 yesterday. In my case I was wondering why the back lighting was weaker than the light switch on the other side. It turns out that the back lighting is of that flourescent type and can't be replaced. I can tell you that there is no front replacement of the yellow lamps. There is also no replacement of them from the rear of the switch. I wasn't looking when I had the switch apart but suspect that the yellow light might be an LED rather than a standard lamp. Either way, you'll have to remove the center trim and the right trim first from the dash. The center trim panel can be pulled straight out then, after removing two screws, the right panel will pull straight out too. Then remove the two screws that hold the switch assembly. Two connectors come off the back and you will then have the switch in your hand. It's not made to be serviced but by carefully prying the sides from the back, the insides of the switch can be removed out the back. Then whatever lamp or LED can be replaced, though I suspect they will be soldered in and could be a bit tricky to change. I wonder if the whole switch unit is still available?

On an 88-89' the switch pods are fairly easy to remove as described. The switch pods each have a luminescent panel that provides the illumination for all the buttons on the pod except for the yellow leds (pods can be disassembled). There is an inverter to produce the voltage required to fire the luminescent panels and all the buttons in a both pods should be the same brightness. If only one button is dim, then I'd suspect dirt has gotten into the text grooves. If so gently clean with a QTip w/ mild cleaner.<P>The console has a seperate inverter that powers the shift indicator, mirror adjust and window control switch ilumination. Intermittent illumination appears to be the typical failure mode for the inverters but that affects all buttons powered by that inverter.<P>The only bulbs in the dash are for the "warning-lights" and "metric/test/trip/gage" buttons on the center IPC.<P>Best of luck

There are also two small replacable lamps in the switch assembly below the tape player in my 88. The 89 has a smaller switch assembly in that location but it may also use bulbs.<P>John