1930 TRANSITONE RADIO

TRANSITONE

I HAVE A TRANSITONE 109A LOOKING FOR INFORMATION ,WAS CONSIDER OME FOR CHRYSLER AND A FEW OTHER 1930 AUTOMOBILES I HAVE A FAIR AMOUNT OF INFO TO SHARE WITH OTHERS , WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM OTHER OWNERS OF THIS SET OR JUST OTHERS WITH AN INTERESTED , WOULD LIKE ADVERTISING, INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS ,PRODUCTION FIGURES ,AND HOW MANY ARE STILL LEFT , THIS SET WAS NOT BUILT BY PHILCO BUT "AUTOMOBILE RADIO COPR ",PHILCO BOUGHT THEM OUT AND STARTED BUILDING AUTO RADIOS IN 1931 PHILCOS FIRST AUTO RADIO WAS "TRANSITONE 3"

Guest Curt Fouse

Hello! Sorry I can't help with your radio, but I have just about finished my 1930 Buick, and now I want to get my General Electric running board radio up and running. This radio was given to me by a fellow club member. It was made by RCA for GE. It is a portable (but very heavy.) It will run on 110 VAC or 6 volt battery voltage. It is an interesting radio and came with an adapter cord, Which I don't have, for 6 volt operation. A local friend was able to fix me up with the schematics, so baring any unforseen problems it should not be hard to get back on the air. I am a ham radio operator, K8UC, and more of less enjoy fooling around with the old radios. Do you work on radios? and do you at least have the schematics for the Transitone? Good luck, and have a good 2006.

Curt in West Virginia

Yes Curt, I repair radios ,have been doing auto radios for about 40 years now ,do all of the radio work for a vintage GM truck parts supplier , got over 500 pre WWII home radios ,pick up my Transione at Hershey a few years ago ,fell in love with the old TRF uses 01A's and a 71A for the output, built like a 1926 Atwater Kent, found the schematic in "Gernsbeck" it's not in "Riders" I know of the portable you've got ,besides the old radios I have a 1929 Chevrolet, that's been in my family since new ,My "regular" car is a 1954 Plymouth, I love this old stuff , Thanks for your input ,BILL