I don't think my '90 is worth as much as I thought

I have a 1990 red/tan coupe with everything but the cd player. It has 116k. It is well-maintained, runs great, and looks great inside and out, and has brand new all season high performance Yokohama tires. I live in Dallas. I had thought I could get $5000 for it. It's been in the paper 3 weeks now listed at $5500. I've had two people look at it and one offer of $3000. I have a new baby in the house and will be picking up a new suv next week. It's been my wife's car and she's almost distraught at the thought of selling out. However, we have no choice. I'd really like to sell the car, but don't want to give it away either. The car is obviously not perfect, but its condition is definitely above what most at this mileage would be. Your input would be appreciate. Thanks.

I wouldn't let anyone steal it from you for a lowball price. I'd rather park it or store it if possible. You can't buy much for 3000 bucks these days. Just my opinion.

Reatta prices have been discussed before many times. Of course, the seller wishes to get the most and the buyer is cheap and wants a bargain.<P>Reatta prices vary all over the place. Auto Trader has 3 Reattas for $1200-$1500 all the way up to tens of thousands.<P>My experience has been that most Reatta owners really appreciate their Reatta and tend to think it is worth more than it realistically is. Once a used car gets over the magic 100K, interest drops way off.<P>Condition also has a lot to do with value. Those sun baked Florida, Texas, and Arizona cars as well as snow encrusted Northern cars are not as desirable as a California garage kept car. <P>And the Reatta is not a well know car like a Mustang; most people never heard of a Reatta. And this will influence the Reatta resale value.<P>Selling a car in January is not the best time. Summer is the best time to sell.<P>When selling a car, the market will dictate what can receive for it. Get all can, you can always accept less. The more time you have, the more you will receive. If you are in a hurry, you will receive less. It depends on how much your time is worth.<P>From family with five Reattas.<P>

gfell,<P>I'm curious about something. What did the dealer offer you for the Reatta in trade? <P>I'm in San Antonio and have watched this roller coaster of Reatta prices locally, regionally and nationally. On ebay, Reattas like yours seem to bring around $4500-5000, but only if it photographs well and you have a very well-written ad. <P>Here's a suggestion if you want to keep the car, but need the money. Park it, and take out a loan at your credit union against it for the CPI book value. CPI (Cars of Particular Interest) has become the equivilent of the NADA book for collectible cars. You can use the money for short term needs, pay back the loan and still have your Reatta. <P>Joe<P>------------------<BR>1965 Wildcat Custom Convertible<BR>1970 GS coupe<BR>1990 Reatta coupe<BR>1999 Regal GSE<BR>2002 Reatta II coupe (I wish!)

Just a comment on your "value" question. A few months ago I bought a '91 with about the same mileage that your car has for less than $5,000.00. You are a little too high I would think. BUT- if you know the car to be a solid unit, don't give it away to someone who is just trying to low ball you. Getting a fair price to you and a buyer sometimes take time for the right match. The idea about borrowing aginst the car would sure buy you some time and would also give you immediate equity out of the car.<BR>Good luck but wouldn't you really rather drive a Buick-Reatta?<BR>Steve

Hello gfell,<BR>how are you today?<BR>Well ,<BR> I have a 1990 Convertible with just 25K miles,the car is in mint condition inside/ out has an in dash Bose/Delco Stereo Cd/Am/Fm radio and I thought to try the Ebay, and see what if the car will fetch, I am not bothered if I sell it, though if I get my set reserve it will sell.<BR>Everything works and the car still smells new.<BR>I would give a shot at the ebay, if I were you.What have you got to lose?<BR>right?<P>good luck<P>Prakash

Thanks for the feedback. The dealer offered $2200.00 on a trade-in, about what I expected. I'm going to post it on ebay tonight and see what happens. The problem that anyone who is a maintenance fanatic has when he/she sells their car is that the buyer doesn't know what the seller knows. Despite the seller's knowledge that he has a well-maintained vehicle with many miles of life left, it's just another 10 year-old car to the buyer.

Guest wally888

This may be entertaining!<BR> In 94 I bought an 89 for $5600 (103k) Have spent several grand on it, some needed, some because I wanted to. Still have it ,131K. I want to sell it for $5500-will take $4750 but have not been very aggressive about selling. Kinda like looking at it.<BR> Last year I bought an 89(79k) for $5900. it had a repair record a mile long and several grand + was spent on it before I purchased.<BR>No complaints!<BR> I bought a 91 in 99(40k) for $11,500, didn't like it, sold w/ 44k for $12,500.<BR> <BR> If a car impresses on the test drive and the buyer wants it, the price can be quite high.Dealers say,"There is a butt that fits every seat." <BR> Also bought a 90 w/ 44k in about 95. Well almost, we shook hands on the deal and it was to be delivered to me 100 miles from owner. The night before delivery he called, said had a higher offer(+$100) "Would I go up?" I hung up.<BR> <P>------------------<BR> <A HREF="http://www.reatta.net" TARGET=_blank>www.reatta.net</A> has supplemental info re.88, 89 and 90 Reatta Brakes.<BR>Please inform me of any new info, info needing editing or errors. A work in progress.<p>[This message has been edited by wally888 (edited 01-18-2001).]

I think that right now the Reatta is too young to be considered a "classic" and too old to be considered (by some) an everyday driver. <B>However</B> take a look at the low production figures for this car and ask yourself how many other Buick two seaters have there been?<P>I have an 89 that I use as an everyday driver and had considered selling it. I then took another look at those low production figures and decided to drive it for another year or so and then send it into "semi-retirement". Although it's hard to forecast such things, in ten years I think the Reatta's (in good condition) will be worth quite a bit more than they are now. It's inevitable that many will sadly dissappear due to accidents and other neglect, so with so few around to start with I don't expect to see many around (except at shows smile.gif ) in 2010.

I AM A CLASSIC & SPECIAL INTEREST CAR DEALER & COLLECTOR IN S. FLORIDA. THE REATTA HAS ALWAYS BEEN MY FAVORITE MODERN DAY COLLECTOR CAR. I HAVE OWNED 5 REATTAS BOUGHT FOR MY PERSONAL USE SINCE 1989. (88,89, 90 COUPE & CONVERTIBLE, 91 COUPE,) & CURRENTLY HAVE A MINT CONDITION 1-OWNER 55K '90 CONVERTIBLE THAT I SEARCHED ALL OVER THE NET TO FIND (INCLUDING THIS DISCUSSION SITE). I FOUND THIS ONE LOCALLY AT A COLLECTOR CAR AUCTION & PAID TOP DOLLAR BECAUSE THE CONDITION IS SHOWROOM NEW AND I DID NOT WANT TO GO THROUGH THE EXPENSE & TIME OF TRAVELING ALL OVER THE COUNTRY FOR A SIMILAR CAR THAT MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE BEEN AS NICE. MY POINT THAT I AM TRYING TO MAKE IS IF YOU WANT THE VERY BEST ONE, YOU WILL MOST LIKELY HAVE TO SEARCH LONG & HARD AND PAY TOP DOLLAR TO AN OWNER WHO HAS AN EXCEPTIONAL CAR. IF YOU WANT A GOOD CAR, ONE THAT HAS BEEN WELL MAINTAINED BOTH MEHCANICALLY & COSMETICALLY, THERE ARE PLENTY TO BE HAD AT VERY REASONALBLE PRICES. THE ONE THAT WILL BE THE BEST OF SHOW WINNER AT THE BUICK NATIONALS WILL NOT COME CHEAP.