Not so easy to unscrew!

perezmaximus

Guest trevor ward

Hi..,

One way which has worked for me in the past is firstly try and

give the bolts a good while to soak with a good releasing agent...

We have Plus-gas..and i think you have a good one called PB blaster,

but you get the idea laugh.gif

The tool i use is a great big Phillips head screw driver with a hex

shaped shank on it.Because it is hex shaped you can snug an adjustable

wrench...or a pair vice grips, around the shaft to greatly assist the

turning, whilst being able to press the screwdriver in with good pressure

Also i have done the above method, but using a round screwdriver, but

with a piece of square bar welded on the shaft to achieve the same

area for the wrench to fasten!! grin.gif

Hope this is of some help.... I always go to an impact screwdriver

as a last resort, 'cos this can chew the heads and cause more problems shocked.gif

Equally...this works for a freshly painted door going back on, 'cos you

can offer a good tightening effect, with no hammering which may chip

fresh paint

Best of luck with this....

Trevor..... '64 Le sabre...tucked up warm for the winter cool.gifcool.gif

I get the tough ones out with a tap, and a Phillips #3 with a socket ( rachet )drive.

Works every time.

I find an impact driver or a screw driver can jump out and round off the grip face... not good.

With all due respect I ask: What tool are you using?

If a common screwdriver, then go to Sears ( or NAPA) and buy a #4 size Phillips head "point" for 3/8" drive. The larger head will give you a solid fit in the screw and the point fits into a socket which then allows you to get serious leverage with a breaker bar while putting horizontal pressure on the tool to keep the tool and screw aligned.

As for the penetrating oil, I agree but only if you can get access to the back of the screw. Putting it on the screw head will only make that more slippery and cause you more trouble.

JD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I find an impact driver or a screw driver can jump out and round off the grip face... not good. </div></div>

I think what Ron was speaking of was a manual impact screwdriver, which uses the force of a hammer blow to produce a very small amount of rotation. They're very effective in cases like this. smile.gif

impact-screwdriver-use.jpg

I've never seen a manual impact screwdriver. Looks like a good option if you can get a good straight hit on the back of it. Should be able to line it up on the door hinges.

I like a tight fitting Phillips, with firm pressure on the back of a ratchet driver.

Another tip that should be obvious ( although if in a hurry we can all be guilty of not doing this) is to make sure the screw head is nice and clean so the driver can sits nice and tight into it and not spin out.

Proper sized Phillips bit chucked in a socket attached to an appropriate length extension which is attached to an air powered impact wrench. Turn the pressure down and shock the sucker loose. Loosen tighten, loosen loosen tighten, loosen loosen loosen tighten, loosen loosen loosen loosen...Don't forget the lubricant.